July 17, 2009

Plugged in

I don’t know what is more amazing, how much energy I had yesterday or how much my joints hurt this morning! One thing is certain; the more I prayed committing the work I was doing to the Lord, the more He filled me with enthusiasm for what I was doing, even going up and down the ladder to edge in along the ceiling (I’m challenged by heights, even low ones) or painting inside a small, very warm bathroom with a lot of edges that could not be taped.

My verses are the same again today as yesterday, only this time with an emphasis on a different phrase, “continuing steadfastly in prayer.”
Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another; not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer; distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality. (Romans 12:10-13)
Prayer is the connection to God and God is my resource. Apart from Him, even those human qualities of kindly affection and brotherly love will come and go. Apart from Him, I know I will be inconsistent in giving preference to others, particularly when there is nothing in it for me. He is my diligence and enthusiasm, my joy and hope, and certainly my source of patience. Without Him I can do nothing. However, to stay connected and have those inner resources, I must pray.

Prayer can be a natural as breathing, but sometimes it is hard work. I’m easily distracted and today, I might easily fall asleep. Other days my to-do list is so long that it takes much determination to first pray. If I have a period where it seems there are no answers, I feel like giving up.

My attitude toward God is also important. I need the qualities in these verses toward Him as well as toward other Christians. I cannot pray as easily if my heart lacks affection for the One to whom I pray. Love and gratitude make prayer easier.

He must also come first in my life because my prayers become filled with gimme, gimme when I do not give preference to Him in praise and yielding to His will. Diligence, fervency of spirit, hope and patience have a great deal to do with how I am relating to Him. If my heart is humble and trusting, these things just happen. If not, they fly out the window.

Despite wanting a long soak in Epsom salt water, my first priority this morning is prayer. After I’m finished, I’ll no doubt pray again in the tub and throughout the day because I want to continue steadfastly in prayer. More than that, I want to, and need to, stay connected.

No comments: