June 8, 2009

Another learning curve

After supper I feel full but want to munch. This is not a good idea, yet my common sense is not working. I know what the doctors, nutritionists and psychologists say (never mind my tape measure), and that is not working either. Like good intentions, determination fails me too. Most Christians would tell me this is a matter of choice, but that isn’t working either. Too often, I don’t seem to be able to make the right decisions, even though I know what they are.

As is wrestle with this, I’ve asked God for self-control (which is given by the Holy Spirit), yet this is usually after I’ve eaten that bowl of buttered popcorn that I didn’t need. I’ve asked my husband to help me, but he gets up very early for work, so is often asleep before this odd hunger hits. I try to be ambitious and do something productive, but am often “too tired to start something and not tired enough to go to bed.”

Is this a physical thing or a spiritual battle? This morning I sat down and asked God to give me what I need to hear. This is where He took me.
That is not the way you learned Christ! For surely you have heard about him and were taught in him, as truth is in Jesus. You were taught to put away your former way of life, your old self, corrupt and deluded by its lusts, and to be renewed in the spirit of your minds, and to clothe yourselves with the new self, created according to the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness. (Ephesians 4:20-24)
Being like Jesus would never mean self-indulgence, nor would it mean making excuses for myself. I know that I’m to put away the behavior of my old self and put on the new self. What strikes me this morning is that phrase between those actions. It says to “be renewed in the spirit of your minds.

Taking a look at that, I found the following thoughts about putting on the new nature. In Colossians 3:2, the Bible says, “set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.” Then in 1 Peter 1:13, it tells me, “Prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed.

Where was my mind yesterday? Actually, almost all of it was focused on the Lord. We had an incredible day filled with rich blessings from God. The ladies class that I lead had a good time in a tough passage. Also, I’d found a basic Bible study written in English and Chinese. I gave it to a new Christian who recently moved to Canada and is trying to learn both English and the Bible. She was thrilled and so was I.

We had a super lunch and visit with a family that we care about, then a great afternoon catching up with the chores that multiply when you go on vacation. It was a joy-filled day. Then I blew it. Instead of going to bed because I was tired, I hit the pantry and the on-button of the television. Not a good idea.

As I read these verses, I could see that God wants me to have my mind renewed. This battle and effort to be like Jesus begins in the way that I think, and there is something in my thinking that is messing up my choices.

One of my books says that I need to commit myself to the process of mind renewal, and when I do, “the result is similar to what God promised Israel.” He said to them, “I will put my laws in their minds and write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people” (Hebrews 8:10).

The only solution to selfish indulgence is always what the Lord gives me, not my own efforts. Jesus gave me the Holy Spirit and He will fill me with Himself. The results are things like love, joy, patience, peace and self-control. I have His mind and need to think with it.

I’m not sure what my thinking is at the end of the day when I am tired and winding down. Maybe I start assuming that I do not need to be filled with the Spirit any longer. The day is done, the demands are over, and now I can be in charge and do what I want. I know that kind of thinking is the root of sin. Isaiah 53:6 says, “All we like sheep have gone astray; We have turned, every one, to his own way . . .” My own way is not working and never has. I need Jesus.

This verse adds, “the Lord has laid on Him the iniquity of us all.” Jesus bore my sin. Every time that I do something to indulge my old nature, I am adding more sin to what He took upon Himself on the cross. That makes me shudder, and remembering it should help me make better choices.

My devotional reading from Truth for Today is also helpful. It talks about having my mind under the control of Jesus and about how I need to think:
As Christians, we are no longer controlled by a self-centered mind; we learn from Christ. Christ thinks for us, acts through us, loves through us, feels through us, and serves through us. The lives we live are not ours but are Christ living in us (Galatians 2:20). Philippians 2:5 says, “Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus.” An unsaved person walks in the vanity of his own mind, but a saved person walks according to the mind of Christ.
God has a plan for the universe, and as long as Christ is working in us, He’s working out a part of that plan through us. Paul noted that He “is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us” (Ephesians 3:20). Every day should be a fantastic adventure for us because we’re in the middle of God’s unfolding plan for the ages.
Almost all of yesterday was an adventure. His plan was obvious and we enjoyed watching what He is doing. Sliding away from that is more than annoying. I need His self-control all day.

The author of my devotional reading once said that self-control, while a fruit of the Spirit, can be practiced. He suggested beginning with little things, like keeping my desk clean, because faithfulness in the little things builds faithfulness in more important matters. My husband often refuses something that is perfectly okay to have, just to practice self-control.

Both of these examples are speaking to me along with all the verses that I’ve read. God is saying I need to renew my mind regarding those hunger pangs after supper, but He is also suggesting a couple of other areas where I can practice self-control: email and exercise. Because He is always ready to come to my rescue, I’ve a strong suspicion that I’m about to go on another adventure.

No comments: