June 5, 2009

Reflected light against the darkness

Last night after supper we drove from Banff to Lake Louise. The late day sun put a glorious reflection on the farthest surface of the lake, reflecting the light from the sky above and clearly marking the horizon line. It was lovely.

We didn’t do a light meter test, but that reflection was almost as bright as the sky, or it seemed that way in contrast to the dark trees in deep shadow at the base of the distant mountain range behind it.

Interesting that my devotional reading this morning is about the importance of light and reflected light, and the contrast of light against the darkness. The Scripture reading says:
You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven. (Matthew 5:14-16)
Jesus said, “I am the Light of the world,” but Jesus is no longer in this world. He leaves His people to be light in this dark place. I do not have inherent light. That is, I cannot shine as He commands on my own. I’m not a light source. However, since He is transforming me into His image, I have reflective light. As the Bible says, when I behold the glory of the Lord and when I walk in obedience to Him, I will reflect that light or glory that comes from Him.

That makes it important to prevent anything from coming between me and the Lord’s light. It doesn’t take very much. Even in the natural realm, light is easily diffused, refracted, or interrupted from making a clear reflection. Little ripples on the lake break up the reflection of moonlight. The glass of a prism changes clear light into colors. While these results are often lovely in themselves, whenever something alters or disrupts the light of Christ so I am no longer reflecting it, whatever does it is always sinful and usually ugly. To illustrate, Paul wrote:
Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world . . . (Philippians 2:14-15)
As this passage suggests, complaining or arguing spoils my reflective qualities. Complaining is considered a right in our culture. Our newspaper runs venting columns almost every day so readers can publically voice their protests. However, complaining is an expression of displeasure in the choices and will of my sovereign God. He is in charge of this world and all that happens. Dare I be critical of Him?

Arguing is also a public pastime. Behind this one is pride. If I think I am right, then I will argue with others because they must be wrong. This flies in the face of what God says of all of us. We know very little, and if it is His truth that I’m right about, arguing will never convince anyone else that this is right. Only the Holy Spirit can do that kind of convincing.

No doubt that the Lord picked these two sins to show me that even ordinary stuff — that most other people do not think twice about — can mar the Christlike reflection of His people. In fact, like mud on a mirror, all sin messes up the reflection.

People cannot see Jesus in me unless I am acting like Jesus. He did not complain, nor did He enter into disputes with others. He was without fault in a sinful world and was not afraid to let His light shine. He wants me to also be without fault and shine for Him, a bright and appealing contrast to the deepest darkness that is around me.

No comments: