December 17, 2023

The Role of Angels

I’m not aware of ever seeing an angel, at least not like those described in the Bible. Yet, the Bible does say that it is possible to see one and not realize it. “Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for thereby some have entertained angels unawares.” (Hebrews 13:2)

At this I wonder if the Greek word for angels should always be translated that way. In Luke 7:24, most Bibles translate angelos as “messenger” which is the same word usually translated “angel” in all other cases — and it seems to me that a human messenger from God could fit in the verse about showing hospitality.

However, these angelic “messengers” are often depicted as supernatural beings that serve God in numerous ways, mostly as bearers of a message. In either case, today’s devotional makes the point that whether angelic or human messengers, none of them share the same destiny as Jesus Christ.

And to which of the angels has he ever said, “Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet”? Are they not all ministering spirits sent out to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation? (Hebrews 1:13–14)

There will be a day when “at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth.” (Philippians 2:10) That destiny is for Jesus alone. Ultimately, the entire universe will be subject to Him, including angels.

In the meantime, the angels should be properly considered. There are some who rebelled against God and are led by Satan who disguises himself as an angel of light as he became the power of darkness, the enemy of truth. His followers send messages contrary to the Gospel and God warns us to not listen to them:

But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. (Galatians 1:8)

Let no one disqualify you, insisting on asceticism and worship of angels, going on in detail about visions, puffed up without reason by his sensuous mind . . . . (Colossians 2:18)

I can imagine how those who see angels could easily consider that vision and their message, true or not, the center of their religious experience rather than focus on Christ. We are not to bow to them (see Revelation 19:10) no matter what message they convey. Their destiny is different from that of Jesus Christ.

When all things are subjected to him, then the Son himself will also be subjected to him who put all things in subjection under him, that God may be all in all. (1 Corinthians 15:28)

As for Jesus, He made Himself subordinate to His Father, but only in His role as the Son. While the eternal Son is equally divine, He is officially in subjection to God yet God will eventually put all kingdoms, authorities, and powers of the world in subjection under Christ when He comes in glory at His Second Coming.

From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty. On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords. (Revelation 19:15–16)

Christ came to secure my redemption. He created angels as messengers to serve Him. They protect and deliver me from temporal danger just as they rescued Lot and his family from the destruction of Sodom and went into the lions’ den with Daniel to protect him. I will be forever in God’s presence and be served by His angels that His will might be done in my life.

PRAY: Lord Jesus, I know that angels protect me. My parents were told I would die before reaching sixteen and here I am in my eighties. In September I fell halfway down a flight of stairs and while in midair received direction what to do so I was not injured. Other close calls and even much less significant answers to prayer, like those for green lights and parking places, are surely the work of Your protecting angels. You saved me, pray for me, guide and teach me, and send angels to serve me, even though I cannot see them. Thank You.

PONDER: In 2 Kings 6:8–23, angels served the prophet Elisha. I’ve heard of missionaries who had a similar experience of protection. God does not always keep me from negative events, but because of His grace, I know that He can and that I can trust Him, no matter what happens.

 

 

No comments: