December 29, 2023

Life is like bootcamp

 

In my spiritual journey I’m at a place where I know the power of prayer, am spending more time with the Lord, yet am being spiritual attacked to the point that I often want to do anything but pray. I know that the enemy is behind these attacks because he too knows the power of prayer and will do whatever he can to stop it. At the same time, God keeps giving me wonderful truths that help me focus, at least some of the time.

One of them is the reality of having a relationship with Jesus Christ that is overwhelmingly incredible. I am His sister and He praises me and trusts me.

For he who sanctifies and those who are sanctified all have one source. That is why he (Jesus) is not ashamed to call them brothers (means siblings), saying, “I will tell of your name to my brothers; in the midst of the congregation, I will sing your praise.” And again, “I will put my trust in him.” And again, “Behold, I and the children God has given me.” (Hebrews 2:11–13)

Jesus calls me by name and because of His attitude toward me, other Christians know I am His beloved just as I know they are also His children and are loved by Him. Other verses speak of us as His holy ones, and even though we find it difficult to think of ourselves that way, He says we are perfect and holy in His sight.

MacArthur admits that the children of God do not always act holy or like our Heavenly Father, but we are still His children. The holiness of Christ has been imputed to us through faith and the grace of God. We are sanctified or set apart for Him. In Him, I am as pure as God is pure, as righteous as Christ is righteous and therefore entitled to be called His child and a sibling of God’s Son.

For by a single offering, he has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified. (Hebrews 10:14)

When the enemy goes after me, this truth is a weapon against his accusations and lies. I belong to God and am set apart for Him, not for anything the devil wants of me. Jesus is “not ashamed” to call me His own. This is truth that sends the accuser packing and definitely enables me to say NO to temptations.

In experience, the Christian life is like a person just enlisted in the army and is a soldier, but must go to bootcamp to learn how to act like what he already is. I am a child of God and life is my boot camp. I am already God’s child: “For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority” (Colossians 2:9–10) yet I need to learn how to live and practice what God has made of me. I am Christ’s sister and a child of God, and that motivates change.

The practical experience of a Christian’s life in this world includes sin, but the positional reality of his or her new nature is holiness. In Him I have been made complete, yet practically, I have a long way to go. So, the overriding purpose of my life is to become in practice what I am in position.

For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant me to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in my inner being, so that Christ may dwell in my heart through faith—that I, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that I  may be filled with all the fullness of God. (Ephesians 3:14–19, personalized)

PRAY: Lord, today help me to remember who I am and focus on what You have done to make me Your child. Enable me to live like it by filling me with Your Spirit and granting me the love, peace and joy You give, that I might be patient, kind, good, faithful, gentle and self-controlled in every situation. And help me to remember that prayer means coming to You in Your name — and being blessed with receiving whatever I ask.

PONDER: these thoughts all day. Don’t be side-tracked by so many other responsibilities that are not nearly so important as praying with confidence because I am God’s child and because He loves to answer my prayers.

 

 

No comments: