December 1, 2023

Christ, above all . . .

Every morning before opening my Bible, I take a few minutes to sing praises. I’m glad God hears our heart not any off key noises. This morning was two songs: Above All and I Speak Jesus, both praising His perfections and the power of His name. Then this was in my devotional reading:

Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, (Hebrews 1:1–3)

Whoever wrote Hebrews wanted Jewish readers in various places in their spiritual journey to realize the superiority of Jesus Christ. He is above all — all OT people of faith, all institutions, rituals, sacrifices and any other claim of salvation. Some of his readers were believers. Some were not Christians yet, but leaning that direction. Others were not believers who gave into the idea that their religious heritage was good enough, or that their lives were good enough. The writer of Hebrews urged them to consider all that Jesus has done and let Him change their lives.

Because the focus was on their old system, most of the readers needed to understand how Jesus compared with angels, Moses, Joshua, Aaron and his priesthood, the Old Covenant, and the sacrificial system. Some of them were being persecuted because of their interest in Him and that pressure confused them. They wanted to be comfortable and go back to Jewish ceremonies. legalism and former practices.

Others were perhaps intellectually convinced but without saving faith and in danger of rejecting Jesus as their Messiah and Savior. They needed to see the difference between Christian beliefs and their former ways, much like many people today.

This strikes me as a problem. If my life does not reflect the newness of life that the gospel brings, then my family, friends, and neighbors will not see that Christ makes a difference and conclude they don’t need Him. As some say, those who believe in Jesus might be the only Bible that others read. How do I come across to them?

This is a question I cannot answer. There are days when I wonder if I should have said something about Jesus and didn’t, or should have shut up but talked too much. Actions speak also. Should I have made that call? Or not? Should I have given that money? Or to someone else? Am I praying the will of God? or for my own desires?

This week our prayer group talked about presumption. Is it ever valid? I presume God hears and answers my prayers? Or is that conjecture? Are my prayers a reflection of what I want, or what God wants?

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. (Hebrews 11:1)

For we walk by faith, not by sight. (2 Corinthians 5:7)

We look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. (2 Corinthians 4:18)

These questions are about faith, about knowing — with an assurance that comes to our innermost being and is given by God’s Spirit. Faith often does not makes sense, at least in a logical, human way of thinking. God saves sinners? God convicts us that what we cannot see is nevertheless real? What we see or perceive with our senses can be deceptive? The unseen is eternal?

All my question marks disappear when I consider Jesus. He covers preconceived ideas, teachings, rumors, fantasies, and I simply need to look at the evidence. It does not make sense that God should become a man, even a babe in a manger, but this is His claim. It does not make sense that He healed the sick, drove out demons, communed with sinners, but He did. His death makes no sense, nor does His resurrection. Yet there is that new life that transforms those who believe in Him.

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation; that is, in Christ God was reconciling the world to himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and entrusting to us the message of reconciliation. Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, God making his appeal through us. We implore you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. (2 Corinthians 5:17–21)

PRAY: Lord, enable me to intercede for those who believe, for those weak in faith, for those standing on the fringe, and those who seemingly scoff at You and Your claims. I know Your name is powerful. May I speak it at every opportunity.

PONDER: What do people, me included, tend to elevate above the preeminence and surpassing grace of God in Jesus Christ? How can those idols be toppled?

 

 

No comments: