December 13, 2023

Greater than angels . . .

 

Last night I could have used an angel, the kind we imagine with a magic wand that fixes all problems. My left leg had been sore for a few days and when I turned to take something out of the dryer, I felt an explosion behind my knee, like a hit from a hammer. I could not walk for a few minutes but finally got to bed and slept. After a time, I also prayed, not for an angel but to Jesus, the Lord.

Today’s devotional happens to be about angels, not concerning prayer but worship — which includes prayer. It says that even though Jesus Christ humbled Himself and was made lower than the angels for a time, angels are still to worship Him because He is greater than them. The NT says . . .

And again, when he (God) brings the firstborn into the world, he says, “Let all God’s angels worship him.” (Hebrews 1:6)

The first two of the Ten Commandments are clear that it is sin to worship anyone or anything else. Near the end of the Bible the Apostle John was rebuked for worshiping angels and reminded of this fact by an angel:

I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I heard and saw them, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who showed them to me, but he said to me, “You must not do that! I am a fellow servant with you and your brothers the prophets, and with those who keep the words of this book. Worship God.” (Revelation 22:8–9)

The NT also says that neither the prophets or angels fully understood God’s entire redemptive plan. Obviously neither godly people or angels should be worshiped.

Concerning this salvation, the prophets who prophesied about the grace that was to be yours searched and inquired carefully, inquiring what person or time the Spirit of Christ in them was indicating when he predicted the sufferings of Christ and the subsequent glories. It was revealed to them that they were serving not themselves but you, in the things that have now been announced to you through those who preached the good news to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven, things into which angels long to look. (1 Peter 1:10–12)

Note that this does not stop the angels from worship. Hebrews 1:6 says, “Let all God’s angels worship him” quoting and fulfilling this OT prophecy:  

All worshipers of images are put to shame, who make their boast in worthless idols; worship him, all you gods! (Psalm 97:7)

In His Second Coming Christ will be revealed in full glory and we will join the angels who says “with a loud voice, ‘Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!’ ” (Revelation 5:12)

PRAY: Jesus, this sore leg gave me an illustration about not calling on angels and that You alone are worthy of my devotion, prayers, and worship. Thank You for always being with me.

PONDER: Revelation 5:1–12 and let the worship of angels affect how I worship Jesus.

 

 

 

No comments: