December 5, 2023

Jesus is God’s full and final revelation

What goes on in my life and in the world is often a puzzle that raises the question, “What is God doing?” However, most of the time the answer is found by taking another look at Jesus. For instance, the mess that is happening in Israel and Gaza is awful. God, what are You doing? Then I think about Jesus. He is God the Son, innocent of all sin, light and truth, yet He was brutally crucified. That seems the worst thing that could ever happen, yet God made it the best thing that ever happened. The death of Jesus meant wrath on sin was satisfied and that forgiveness is available to all of humanity. Since God can do that, and since He is sovereign, the mess in any part of the world cannot limit the power of God.

This Jesus answers my questions. He is God’s full and final revelation, waited for by generations. Even a sinful woman from Samaria who met Him at a well knew that God would send Him. She didn’t know yet that the man who talked to her was the Messiah when she said to Him: “I know that Messiah is coming (he who is called Christ). When he comes, he will tell us all things.” (John 4:25)

The expectation of that time, even among the Samaritans, was that the Messiah would bring to them the full and final revelation of God. This is affirmed in the NT:

Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world. (Hebrews 1:1–2)

The OT revealed God in bits and pieces, each part true but not clear because the revelation was incomplete. Jesus came and the puzzle came together, yet His people didn’t expect what they saw. Their messianic hope had been cherished for centuries, but had a political foundation. However, He came to save them from their sin, not from those oppressors who ruled over them.

Nevertheless, Jesus fulfilled the OT promises and is God’s final revelation of Himself. “For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory.” (2 Corinthians 1:20)

Two of my favorite Bible verses are about the identity of Jesus and the reason He came:

And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. (John 1:14)

No one has ever seen God; the only God, who is at the Father’s side, he has made him known. (John 1:18)

Jesus is God in human flesh, like us yet not like us, amazing in power and humility, sinless yet greatly concerned for sinners. Paul also wrote: “For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily.” (Colossians 2:9)

It seems late in my Christian life to finally realize the sufficiency of Jesus Christ. He is the fullness of divine revelation, meaning I need nothing more, not only for being able to trust Him in a world gone haywire, but for what He has done in my life. These personalized verses tell it all:

I am complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power. (Colossians 2:10)

His divine power has granted to me all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called me to His own glory and excellence. (2 Peter 1:3)

Someday, when He appears and I see Him as He is, I will be like Him. (2 John 3:2)

PRAY: Jesus, starting the day with You and in worship is making such a difference in my life, not only in the practical ways that chores and so on go smoothly, but in my innermost being. You give me a peace that passes understanding and a calmness of heart during challenges that once kept me upset and anxious. The more You reveal God to me, the more I experience that incredible grace and truth that is setting me free. Thank You.

PONDER: How can I rely more fully on all that Jesus is and does, and in faith bring Him the glory that is due?

 

 

No comments: