August 21, 2022

God’s timing is remarkable.

 

READ Lamentations 1–5

Reading Lamentations today was helpful for several reasons. One is that I’ve been praying for revival and these five chapters describe in vivid and horrible detail what God’s OT people went through as He chastened them for their sin. Idolatry had destroyed their relationship with the LORD and His chastening nearly destroyed them. It’s important to know the NT affirms that there is no condemnation for those who believe in Jesus Christ. However, it is also clear that He chastens those He loves. Reading this passage helps me realize the seriousness of my prayer.

Second, while I know that Jesus bore my sin, Lamentations shows me the weight of sin that He bore. I cannot imagine His suffering on the cross. I’ve had some physical problems for the past day and a half and if I had any thoughts of self-pity, reading these chapters and thinking about Jesus drives them away.

Third, as awful as their situation was, Jeremiah threw out truths that were an anchor for his soul. These truths also stabilize me as they direct my heart to count my blessings.

Remember my affliction and my wanderings, the wormwood and the gall! My soul continually remembers it and is bowed down within me. But this I call to mind, and therefore I have hope: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “therefore I will hope in him.” The Lord is good to those who wait for him, to the soul who seeks him. It is good that one should wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord. It is good for a man that he bear the yoke in his youth. (Lamentations 3:19–27)

Yes, these past hours were not fun, but the LORD is with me and nothing can separate me from His love. He uses all things for good, even when I cannot see the good, at least not right away.

For the Lord will not cast off forever, but, though he cause grief, he will have compassion according to the abundance of his steadfast love; for he does not afflict from his heart or grieve the children of men. (Lamentations 3:31–33)

These chapter also remind me that God is sovereign. Whatever happens, He has reason for it and I can trust Him.

Who has spoken and it came to pass, unless the Lord has commanded it? Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that good and bad come? (Lamentations 3:37–38)

Most people think that the worst is death, but Jesus has destroyed the enemy who held the power of death. If I died this week, or next month, or in five years, I need not fear. Lamentations 3:58 is my anchor!

“You have taken up my cause, O Lord; you have redeemed my life.” Amen!

 

No comments: