August 5, 2022

Choices . . .

 

READ 1 Corinthians 13–16

Reading 1 Corinthians helps me remember what my old life was like and that I’m not living like that any longer. These chapters produce conviction and joy. The conviction is about how unloving I have been . . .

Lord, forgive my selfish pride in the times my words and actions have been mere noise without caring about helping others, only looking good. Sometimes I have been impatient, unkind, envious, boastful, arrogant and rude. I often insist on my own way, am irritable and resentful, rejoice at someone doing wrong (even me) and not excited when confronted with the truth. I’ve often been unable to bear certain behaviors in others, or believe in them or You, and sometimes lose hope things will change or go better. My endurance level can be low and short. (1 Corinthians 13:1–7) This is not love and I must admit it, must forsake such selfishness. If I really love You, I will be eager to show Your love to those around me. And these chapters give many examples:

Pursue love, and earnestly desire the spiritual gifts, especially that you may prophesy. For one who speaks in a tongue speaks not to men but to God; for no one understands him, but he utters mysteries in the Spirit. On the other hand, the one who prophesies speaks to people for their upbuilding and encouragement and consolation. (1 Corinthians 14:1–3)

How many times have You given me knowledge and words and I uttered them without considering their effect on others? Too many. You want me to build up, encourage and console, and how can I do that unless my focus is on teaching or revealing something for their sake, not to impress them, but to forsake my selfishness.

I’m thankful for good teaching and experience concerning speaking in tongues. Like Paul, I “would rather speak five words with my mind in order to instruct others, than ten thousand words in a tongue” and do not forbid it, but realize the rules are clearly laid down and know Your priority is that your people do things “decently and in order” rather than in chaos or the personal excitement of having this experience.

The most joy comes from knowing the Gospel. It is this truth that is called that of “first importance” and simply stated: “Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures.” (1 Corinthians 15:3–4) Forgive me for not sharing this good news when I should and not always putting it in ‘first importance’ — the greatest priority in my life.

For I am the least of Your children, unworthy to be called a Christian because I’ve done nothing to earn or deserve it, but even worse, thinking that I could do something that would make me worthy instead of realizing how foolish that is and how much I need grace, even totally depend on it. I’ve worked hard at times, but not always by grace. Too often it was me trying to prove something rather than “the grace of God that is with me.” (1 Corinthians 15:9–10)

I’ve heard Christians say, “If all this is not true, at least we’ve lived a good life” and agreed, but only briefly because Your Word says, “And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile and you are still in your sins. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. If in Christ we have hope in this life only, we are of all people most to be pitied.” (1 Corinthians 15:17–19) I realize that genuine faith abandons a life of selfish I wants, and gives up indulging self to serve others. If I live otherwise, I’d be just like the person who says, “Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we die” rather than be like You who bids me to:

Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant . . . . (Philippians 2:3–7)

Living for me is easy and requires no exhortation or encouragement. However, You say this to me:

“Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain” (1 Corinthians 15:58) and “Let all that you do be done in love.” (1 Corinthians 16:14)

That old life, the former me, lived for things that had no eternal value and was always motivated by selfish I-wants. Taking care of myself is not forbidden, but with Christ living in me, I have far more options!

 

No comments: