August 8, 2022

Discerning genuine faith . . .

 

READ 2 Corinthians 9–13

The movie we watched this weekend was filmed in Australia but it seemed to take place in Thailand. Last week another movie depicted a woman trying to sell jewelry given to her by her wealthy husband only to find out it was fake. Many people claim to be Christian but are they? Maybe not, or maybe they are like the Corinthians — genuine but living in the flesh. Being governed by my old nature would cast doubt on my claim of faith in Jesus.

The last part of 2 Corinthians offers some clues to discern what is going on. The first one is about motives for generosity. Genuine faith sees God as the source and is therefore happy to help others knowing He will supply whatever is needed . . .

So I thought it necessary to urge the brothers to go on ahead to you and arrange in advance for the gift you have promised, so that it may be ready as a willing gift, not as an exaction (based on greed) . . . . Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work. (2 Corinthians 9:5; 7–8)

The passage goes on to say that God “who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God.” Faith wants God glorified for His supply and trusts Him to take care of me even if I give away something I need.

Another clue shows up in this verse: “Not that we dare to classify or compare ourselves with some of those who are commending themselves. But when they measure themselves by one another and compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding.” (2 Corinthians 10:12) Genuine faith is not into determining self-worth this way. Faith knows that Jesus died for me and my worth is in that sacrifice, not in anything I have done or can do. I have no need to compare myself or my stuff to others to prove my value.

A third clue is in how we battle sin. The flesh uses tactics out of how-to books but faith relies on God’s power . . .

I beg of you that when I am present I may not have to show boldness with such confidence as I count on showing against some who suspect us of walking according to the flesh. For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ, being ready to punish every disobedience, when your obedience is complete . . . . Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord. For it is not the one who commends himself who is approved, but the one whom the Lord commends. (2 Corinthians 10:2–6; 17–18)

Another clue is that genuine faith is not duped by “false apostles or deceitful workmen disguised as apostles of Christ.” We discern how “Satan disguises himself as an angel of light” and are not surprised when his servants do the same. (2 Corinthians 11:13–15)

Also genuine faith does not boast in accomplishments. Instead, we are profoundly aware of our weaknesses and realize the importance of acknowledging them. Paul could have boasted about his natural abilities or his victories, but said, “If I must boast, I will boast of the things that show my weakness.” (2 Corinthians 11:25–30) He tells why:

So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (2 Corinthians 12:7–10)

More clues; faith is “most gladly spent” for others without burdening or taking advantage of them. (2 Corinthians 12:14–17) Faith mourns over sin and desires repentance. It cringes to see fleshy behavior such as: “quarreling, jealousy, anger, hostility, slander, gossip, conceit, and disorder . . . impurity, sexual immorality, and sensuality.” (2 Corinthians 12:20–21)

The last lines call me to examine myself. Is Christ in me? If so, why let that old nature rule when He enables me to “aim for restoration, comfort and agreement with others” and live in His great peace?

 

No comments: