August 25, 2022

A Vision of the Future

 

READ Ezekiel 9–12

Rarely does anyone know the future. Soothsayers and fortune tellers claim to, but the Bible says only those whose prophecies are always true all the time are true prophets. The rest are false and saying only what they believe or want their listeners to believe.

God’s prophets are true. What they say happens or will happen. Further, much of what they say is a shock and a horror to their own ears, never mind to others. Ezekiel heard and saw this from God:

Bring near the executioners of the city, each with his destroying weapon in his hand. And behold, six men came . . . each with his weapon for slaughter in his hand, and with them was a man clothed in linen, with a writing case at his waist. And they went in and stood beside the bronze altar. Now the glory of the God of Israel had gone up from the cherub on which it rested to the threshold of the house. And he called to the man clothed in linen, who had the writing case at his waist . . . . “Pass through the city, through Jerusalem, and put a mark on the foreheads of the men who sigh and groan over all the abominations that are committed in it.” And to the others he said . . . “Pass through the city after him, and strike. Your eye shall not spare, and you shall show no pity. Kill old men outright, young men and maidens, little children and women, but touch no one on whom is the mark. And begin at my sanctuary.” So they began with the elders who were before the house. Then he said to them, “Defile the house, and fill the courts with the slain. Go out.” So they went out and struck in the city. (Ezekiel 9:1–7)

No wonder that he asked, “Ah, Lord God! Will you destroy all the remnant of Israel in the outpouring of your wrath on Jerusalem?” The vision was so awful that the prophet thought everyone would die.

All dying was not God’s plan. After more visions of future judgment, He told Ezekiel that He would judge those who “have not walked in my statutes, nor obeyed my rules, but have acted according to the rules of the nations that are around you” that they “would know that I am the Lord.”  

God planned a remnant. He said, “Though I removed them far off among the nations, and though I scattered them among the countries, yet I have been a sanctuary to them for a while in the countries where they have gone.” And then added, “I will gather you from the peoples and assemble you out of the countries where you have been scattered, and I will give you the land of Israel. And when they come there, they will remove from it all its detestable things and all its abominations. And I will give them one heart, and a new spirit I will put within them. I will remove the heart of stone from their flesh and give them a heart of flesh, that they may walk in my statutes and keep my rules and obey them. And they shall be my people, and I will be their God. But as for those whose heart goes after their detestable things and their abominations; I will bring their deeds upon their own heads.” (11:11–21)

His plan was to scatter those who are against Him, but “I will let a few of them escape from the sword, from famine and pestilence, that they may declare all their abominations among the nations where they go, and may know that I am the Lord.” Yet at that time the people would “eat their bread with anxiety, and drink water in dismay. In this way her land will be stripped of all it contains, on account of the violence of all those who dwell in it. And the inhabited cities shall be laid waste, and the land shall become a desolation; and you shall know that I am the Lord.”

As for those who thought this was a future thing so they were safe, He said, “The days are near, and the fulfillment of every vision. For there shall be no more any false vision or flattering divination within the house of Israel. For I am the Lord; I will speak the word that I will speak, and it will be performed. It will no longer be delayed, but in your days, O rebellious house, I will speak the word and perform it . . . None of my words will be delayed any longer, but the word that I speak will be performed.” (12:18–28)

The life of a true prophet might seem exciting. Yet most of this is horrifying. I’d not want to know it. However, the prophets also bring good news. God would selvedge a remnant and change lives. This redemption became the greatest good news of all — in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ whose sacrifice on our behalf saves believers from sin and makes us His people. His promise became a reality — giving us His life now so we can spend forever with Him without concern for what the future holds.

 

No comments: