August 22, 2021

Revenge is not my job . . .

One day I was out for a prayer walk and stewing about a particular situation when I heard God speak. He said, “Get out of my to-do list.” I burst out laughing as His words lifted that burden from me. I could almost hear Him chuckling too.

There are some things (actually most things) that belong only on God’s to-do list. One of them is VENGEANCE, which is no laughing matter. Who has not heard, “Vengeance is mine says the Lord”?

The OT says it first: Leviticus 19:18. “You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.” Not only did God prohibit getting even for a wrong, He also prohibited that related issue of carrying a grudge.

However, when His own people violated the covenant made between them, God could and would retaliate:

Leviticus 26:23–25. “And if by this discipline you are not turned to me but walk contrary to me, then I also will walk contrary to you, and I myself will strike you sevenfold for your sins. And I will bring a sword upon you, that shall execute vengeance for the covenant. And if you gather within your cities, I will send pestilence among you, and you shall be delivered into the hand of the enemy.”

This and other passages show that taking vengeance is not about God taking sides. Instead, it is about God dealing with sin against Him as well as sin against His covenant people whom He promised to protect.

Deuteronomy 32:43. “Rejoice with him, O heavens; bow down to him, all gods, for he avenges the blood of his children and takes vengeance on his adversaries. He repays those who hate him and cleanses his people’s land.”

God’s people knew that God was right to deal with their sin. They declared in Joshua 22:22–23. “The Mighty One, God, the Lord! The Mighty One, God, the Lord! He knows; and let Israel itself know! If it was in rebellion or in breach of faith against the Lord, do not spare us today for building an altar to turn away from following the Lord. Or if we did so to offer burnt offerings or grain offerings or peace offerings on it, may the Lord himself take vengeance.”

They also knew that God would deal with enemies who threatened them. David praised Him for such deliverance: 2 Samuel 22:47–49 says, “The Lord lives, and blessed be my rock, and exalted be my God, the rock of my salvation, the God who gave me vengeance and brought down peoples under me, who brought me out from my enemies; you exalted me above those who rose against me; you delivered me from men of violence.”

The psalmists also knew God hated sin and cried out: Psalm 94:1–2. “O Lord, God of vengeance, O God of vengeance, shine forth! Rise up, O judge of the earth; repay to the proud what they deserve!”

This did not always happen, at least not immediately, yet the prophets spoke of a day to come and a global reckoning when all who suffer would get what was coming to them. Isaiah 35:4 told them: “Say to those who have an anxious heart, ‘Be strong; fear not! Behold, your God will come with vengeance, with the recompense of God. He will come and save you.’ ”

He spelled it out in Isaiah 59:16–20: “He saw that there was no man, and wondered that there was no one to intercede; then his own arm brought him salvation, and his righteousness upheld him. He put on righteousness as a breastplate, and a helmet of salvation on his head; he put on garments of vengeance for clothing, and wrapped himself in zeal as a cloak. According to their deeds, so will he repay, wrath to his adversaries, repayment to his enemies; to the coastlands he will render repayment. So they shall fear the name of the Lord from the west, and his glory from the rising of the sun; for he will come like a rushing stream, which the wind of the Lord drives. ‘And a Redeemer will come to Zion, to those in Jacob who turn from transgression,’ declares the Lord.”

In the NT, Jesus (that Redeemer) said, “these are days of vengeance to fulfill all that is written” such as the words of Micah 5:15, “And in anger and wrath I will execute vengeance on the nations that did not obey.” Could it be that Is our world is experiencing this retaliation in fires, floods, pestilence, earthquakes, and mayhem of all sorts?

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. I don’t know if we are entering the time of Jesus’ return but do know that God has every right to say (Hebrews 10:30), “Vengeance is mine; I will repay” and “The Lord will judge His people.” Jesus came the first time so those who believe in Him would be cleansed and made holy. Yet the NT also says Jesus will be revealed from heaven (2 Thessalonians 1:8) “in flaming fire, inflicting vengeance on those who do not know God and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus.” Whether He is coming soon or later, turning from sin to God is paramount. No one should ever want to experience God’s vengeance.

 

No comments: