August 29, 2021

Knowing and doing God’s will depends on who I trust the most . . .

We used to chuckle that when a toddler discovered his WILL power, it quickly became a ‘won’t’ power! Sadly, many people grow up with the same attitude. My dad used to call them “can’t men” and I know my own heart can take that stubborn, I-want-my-way streak.

While there is debate about which rules, the will of God or the will of human beings, the Bible is clear that both exist and are operative.

In the OT, this word is used for human desires, wants, or will/willingness but is also used for the same ideas in God. He also has desires and wants and expresses His will as well as performs what He wills to happen.

The NT uses both verbs and nouns to describe the desire or intentions of both people and God. Sometimes the distinction is blurry, as in Philippians 2:12–13.

“Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.”

This puzzle is heightened by Jesus’ words in Gethsemane before the crucifixion . . .

Matthew 26:39. “And going a little farther he fell on his face and prayed, saying, “My Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as you will.”

Jesus was fully human yet without sin, but our will/desires/intentions are tainted by it and for that reason, what Jesus said is difficult for us to understand and relate to. Even so, Paul struggled in Romans 7 to explain the contrast, and most Christians realize there is a distinction between the will of God and our will stemming from that old sinful nature. This is why the NT says,

Galatians 5:16–17. “But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.”

The NT contains many examples of what people want in opposition to what God wants as expressed by Jesus in John 5:40, “You refuse to come to me that you may have life.” Nevertheless, readers are told to seek the will of God, to desire it and do it from the heart. He also gives us ways to know and do His will.

Romans 12:1–2. “I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.”

These verses declare that His will is excellent. Many other passages specifically express or describe what God’s will is:

2 Peter 3:9. “The Lord is . . . patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.”

1 Thessalonians 4:3. “For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality.”

1 Thessalonians 5:17–18. “Pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”

1 Peter 2:15. “For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people.”

The entire Bible is filled with revelations of God’s will, from the command in Eden that if obeyed would have kept humanity from sin to the last book that tells how the will of God will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Reading it keeps my focus where it should be.

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. While much could be said about the will of God, for me it is vital to remember His sovereign power and that His will is vital for all of life. Rather than following my own desires, this should make a difference in my choices and plans. Instead of thinking I will do whatever I think best, I’m to personalize and heed these words from James 4:13–17. “Come now, whenever I say, (insert my plans here) remember that I do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is my life? I am a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes. Instead I ought to say, ‘If the Lord wills, I will live and do this or that.’ Otherwise I am boasting in arrogance. All such boasting is evil. So if I know the right thing to do and fail to do it, for me it is sin.” Seems simple — read His Word to find out what it is, then do the will of God from the heart!

 

No comments: