August 13, 2021

God is great, greater, greatest . . .

 

Someone once teased our family for always saying “it was the best I’ve ever . . . .” seen or eaten or experienced. Realizing it was a silly way to boast, we quit saying that. Now I notice other people using this expression about everything from food, travel, and cute babies as a form of one-upmanship.

In the OT, the idea of one thing SURPASSING all others is tied to human affairs. In the NT, this word is tied to the amazing work of the Lord. Who He is and what He does is greater than anything else we know or experience.

One verse uses surpass to compare how the new covenant is more glorious:

2 Corinthians 3:9–11. “For if there was glory in the ministry of condemnation, the ministry of righteousness must far exceed it in glory. Indeed, in this case, what once had glory has come to have no glory at all, because of the glory that surpasses it. For if what was being brought to an end came with glory, much more will what is permanent have glory.”

When it comes to describing God, logically the NT writers used words that lift Him above the ordinary. Everything about Him is far greater than anything else that we know, beginning with His power:

2 Corinthians 4:6–7. “For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.”

Paul may have used this word in writing to the Corinthians because they were caught up in exalting themselves, much like one-upmanship. He wanted to show them that what God does is far greater and far more worthy of their praise. Also, any good they or Paul did, was because of the surpassing grace of God:

2 Corinthians 9:10–14. “He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will supply and multiply your seed for sowing and increase the harvest of your righteousness. You will be enriched in every way to be generous in every way, which through us will produce thanksgiving to God. For the ministry of this service is not only supplying the needs of the saints but is also overflowing in many thanksgivings to God. By their approval of this service, they will glorify God because of your submission that comes from your confession of the gospel of Christ, and the generosity of your contribution for them and for all others, while they long for you and pray for you, because of the surpassing grace of God upon you.”

Paul could have played the one-upmanship game, but he knew better:

2 Corinthians 12:6–9. “Though if I should wish to boast, I would not be a fool, for I would be speaking the truth; but I refrain from it, so that no one may think more of me than he sees in me or hears from me. So to keep me from becoming conceited because of the surpassing greatness of the revelations, a thorn was given me in the flesh, a messenger of Satan to harass me, to keep me from becoming conceited. Three times I pleaded with the Lord about this, that it should leave me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”

The NT makes it clear that whatever we know and do is from the Lord:

Ephesians 3:17–21. “Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God. Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.”

Philippians 3:7–9. “But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith.”

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. The reality that God’s goodness is beyond my imagination comes out in this instruction that links faith with prayer and a thankful heart to what He does in return:

Philippians 4:6–7. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”

Praise God for His surpassing gifts!

 

No comments: