August 21, 2021

He holds me up . . .

 

My mother often related a favorite OT story of how the Israelites won a battle. When it began, Moses and his two leaders went to the top of a hill. As long as Moses held up his hands, Israel prevailed, but when his hands dropped, the enemy prevailed. Eventually he became tired and his two men held up his hands, keeping them steady until the enemy was defeated.

Years later I realized this was more than instruction to help others who are worn out; it is a great illustration of how God sustains and UPHOLDS His people, not only in battles, but to supply with necessities and support. He keeps or maintains, causing us to hang in there and keep going, especially when all resources are spent.

The psalms list all sorts of situations where God upholds His people:

“I lay down and slept; I woke again, for the Lord sustained me. I will not be afraid of many thousands of people who have set themselves against me all around.” (3:5–6)

“For the arms of the wicked shall be broken, but the Lord upholds the righteous.” (37:17)

“The steps of a man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way; though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the Lord upholds his hand.” (37:23–24)

“Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.” (51:12)

“Behold, God is my helper; the Lord is the upholder of my life.” (54:4)

Uphold me according to your promise, that I may live, and let me not be put to shame in my hope!” (119:116)

“The Lord upholds all who are falling and raises up all who are bowed down. The eyes of all look to you, and you give them their food in due season. You open your hand; you satisfy the desire of every living thing.” (145:14–16)

“(He) executes justice for the oppressed and gives food to the hungry. The Lord sets the prisoners free; the Lord opens the eyes of the blind. The Lord lifts up those who are bowed down; the Lord loves the righteous. The Lord watches over the sojourners; he upholds the widow and the fatherless, but the way of the wicked he brings to ruin.” (146:7–9)

“Cast your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you; he will never permit the righteous to be moved.” (55:22)

Isaiah writes of God’s sustaining power. The first verse is one of my favorite promises. The others point to Jesus and the wonder of His power to accomplish salvation and justice.

Isaiah 41:10. “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”

Isaiah 42:1. “Behold my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen, in whom my soul delights; I have put my Spirit upon him; he will bring forth justice to the nations.”

Isaiah 59:16. “He saw that there was no man, and wondered that there was no one to intercede; then his own arm brought him salvation, and his righteousness upheld him.”

The NT also points to Jesus as God’s upholder of all that exists. Hebrews 1:3 says of Him: “He is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high.”

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. Amazed at God’s power to sustain is equal only to the wonder of experiencing it. Day after day, through all sorts of trials and life’s experiences, God upholds me. I see it in His daily care, in answered prayer for ourselves and others, in circumstances that can only be described as a “God thing” and in His protection and care for His people — expressed in sustaining us as we work together to love and uphold one another. To do so is to be like our God who holds us up, giving unity in diversity, love when none is deserved, and strength in weakness.

3 John 5–8. "Beloved, it is a faithful thing you do in all your efforts for these brothers, strangers as they are, who testified to your love before the church. You will do well to send them on their journey in a manner worthy of God. For they have gone out for the sake of the name, accepting nothing from the Gentiles. Therefore we ought to support people like these, that we may be fellow workers for the truth."

 

No comments: