August 12, 2021

A Sure Thing

 

Very few people thrive in constant insecurity. I like to be certain about things, like the sun will come up tomorrow and there is going to be some goodness in the days ahead. I trust that the lights will go on when I hit the switch, or water will flow when I pump the handle. Faith fits easily with many of my expectations.

However, walking by faith is sometimes a challenge when the things I see with my eyes seem contrary to what God has told me. These days of pandemics, fires, floods, and much saber-rattling among the nations, even the most devout Christians struggle at times about the sovereignty of God, or that He cares about the messes that people get themselves into, or that He will eventually turn it all around.

However, the Bible defines faith in Hebrews 11:1 as “the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.” This verse has a strong sense of certainty apart from what is before our eyes. That is, faith is not being blind to life but trusting in God — whom we cannot see — to be involved in our world, not because we can always see what He is doing but because He reveals to us that He is reliable. That is, He makes promises and keeps them.

A few OT Hebrew words are sometimes translated as certain or SURE. They mean to be reliable, conforming to fact and therefore worthy of belief.” This is true of other things but certainly true of God and His Word. For instance, when Joseph interpreted the dream of Pharaoh, he said, “And the doubling of Pharaoh’s dream means that the thing is fixed by God, and God will shortly bring it about.”

Sure” is translated from several Hebrew words that mean “right” or “ready” or “certain,” even “rests” in the sense that whatever it refers to is firmly established or resting. All these words describe the nature and character of God.

Psalm 93:1–2. “The Lord reigns; he is robed in majesty; the Lord is robed; he has put on strength as his belt. Yes, the world is established; it shall never be moved. Your throne is established from of old; you are from everlasting.”

Psalm 19:7. “The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.”

God’s commandments are sure and reliable, as are His promises and prophecies.

Isaiah 25:1. “O Lord, you are my God; I will exalt you; I will praise your name, for you have done wonderful things, plans formed of old, faithful and sure.”

Hosea 6:3. “Let us know; let us press on to know the Lord; his going out is sure as the dawn; he will come to us as the showers, as the spring rains that water the earth.”

Micah 4:1–2. “It shall come to pass in the latter days that the mountain of the house of the Lord shall be established as the highest of the mountains, and it shall be lifted up above the hills; and peoples shall flow to it, and many nations shall come, and say: ‘Come, let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob, that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths.’ For out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the Lord from Jerusalem.”

The certainty of who God is and what He is like is describe in the NT too. Many times Jesus emphasized it by saying, “Surely, surely . . .” The same Greek word is also used concerning the faith of His followers to show they are convinced or certain of the truthfulness or validity of something. This certainty is based on the promises of God, the reliability of what He says He will do. For example:

Philippians 1:6. “And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.”

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. Faith can be imitated but not very well. That word is “presumption” referring to the idea that God will do what I think He will or ought to do, but really is more about what I want than about knowing His will. Another term for an error like presumption is taking God for granted. I am certain of His steadfast love for me, but cannot assume that I can do whatever I please and He will look the other way; His love is forgiving but it is not indulging. Putting my eyes on Jesus and being in the Bible daily helps me, yet I have days where I wonder if anything is sure and certain. Lord, I believe; help my uncertainties!

 

No comments: