January 2, 2021

What God Abhors

 

To abhor something means to find it repugnant. This is not about disliking certain foods or styles of music; it is an intense aversion, particularly to attitudes and behaviors. It is the way I felt this morning reading about a couple of teens stopped by a policeman. They sped away, hitting him with their vehicle and dragged him to his death.

In the Bible this word speaks of God’s response to sin. It is a strong aversion, expressed in punitive or adverse action. It is not a popular way to describe God. People turn away, thinking He is just mean and carries a big stick. For me, this describes deep caring. If I didn’t give a rip about bad things we do, I would “ho hum” that news about the officer who died. Not only that, if I didn’t love my children, I would not care if they ate candy all day or sassed everyone or drove their car over other people.

Thinking of God abhorring evil is a great comfort. How could I worship Him if He did not?

There are only a few verses in Scripture that use this word. The first is a promise. After God tells His people the changes that will happen in their lives when He rescued them from bondage, He promised . . .

I will make my dwelling among you, and my soul shall not abhor you. And I will walk among you and will be your God, and you shall be my people. I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that you should not be their slaves. And I have broken the bars of your yoke and made you walk erect. (Leviticus 26:11–13)

This was grace, not a free ticket to sin though. He also said this:

“But if in spite of this you will not listen to me, but walk contrary to me, then I will walk contrary to you in fury, and I myself will discipline you sevenfold for your sins. You shall eat the flesh of your sons, and you shall eat the flesh of your daughters. And I will destroy your high places and cut down your incense altars and cast your dead bodies upon the dead bodies of your idols, and my soul will abhor you. (Leviticus 26:27–30)

It was never the intention of God to let sin win. He made a covenant to save them and save them was always His plan . . .

“Yet for all that, when they are in the land of their enemies, I will not spurn them, neither will I abhor them so as to destroy them utterly and break my covenant with them, for I am the Lord their God. But I will for their sake remember the covenant with their forefathers, whom I brought out of the land of Egypt in the sight of the nations, that I might be their God: I am the Lord.” (Leviticus 26:44–45)

A few verses use this strong word to tell what things God hates. One of them is idols:

The carved images of their gods you shall burn with fire. You shall not covet the silver or the gold that is on them or take it for yourselves, lest you be ensnared by it, for it is an abomination to the Lord your God. And you shall not bring an abominable thing into your house and become devoted to destruction like it. You shall utterly detest and abhor it, for it is devoted to destruction. (Deuteronomy 7:25–26)

God’s people are to abhor idols just as He does, but we are not to abhor other people. For instance, back then the examples were relatives that did not share their faith or the people that had been involved in their previous bondage. God told them plainly:

“You shall not abhor an Edomite, for he is your brother. You shall not abhor an Egyptian, because you were a sojourner in his land.” (Deuteronomy 23:7)

GAZE AT GOD’S GLORY: The New Testament applies this to me. I’m not to teach others without applying my lessons to myself, or preach against stealing and steal, or tell people to not commit adultery and do it myself. If I abhor idols like God does, how could I make anything else a priority over God? I’m not to boast in godly living then not live godly. It is stuff like this that makes unbelievers blaspheme God! (Romans 2:21–24)

Instead, my love for others needs to be without pretense. I’m to abhor evil but also cling to moral goodness and be affectionate to others, honoring them as I honor Christ. He rejoices in hope, is patient in tribulation and constant in prayer. He meets the needs of His people and invites us into His life. (Romans 12:9–13) I’m to be like Him — hating evil yet loving people.

 

 

No comments: