January 7, 2021

God gets things done! (unlike me -- this post is from January 6th!)


ACCOMPLISH. This verb describes what God has done rather than who He is, but it says much about who He is, just like a beautiful vase says something about the crafts person who created it, or an inspiring poem reveals the heart of the poet. The dictionary is technical: it means “to be or become thoroughly or entirely accomplished; conceived of as becoming perfect or complete.”

My conclusion from the passages that use this word is that God is revealed as Someone who gets things done. He is not limited by human resistance or scientific impossibilities. He is determined and powerful. Unlike me (and most quilters), at the end of time there will be no UFO’s (unfinished objects) on His to-do list. He says:

“Remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’” (Isaiah 46:9–10)

His power to finish the job is tied directly to His Word. That is usually thought of as the speaking or written things God says, but it can also apply to Jesus Christ who is the Living Word of God (John 1:1).

“For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it. (Isaiah 55:10–11)

His power to finish the job is also tied to the intentions of His heart and to His determination to do what He says He will do.

The anger of the Lord will not turn back until he has executed and accomplished the intents of his heart. In the latter days you will understand it clearly. (Jeremiah 23:20) . . . . The word of the Lord came to Jeremiah while he was shut up in the court of the guard: “Go, and say to Ebed-melech the Ethiopian, ‘Thus says the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel: Behold, I will fulfill my words against this city for harm and not for good, and they shall be accomplished before you on that day. But I will deliver you on that day, declares the Lord, and you shall not be given into the hand of the men of whom you are afraid. For I will surely save you . . . because you have put your trust in me, declares the Lord.’ ” (Jeremiah 39:15–18)

God also satisfied the demands of His Law in the Person of Jesus. No one could keep it perfectly without sin, but all was perfected and fulfilled in His life.

For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. (Matthew 5:18)

He also said, “My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work.” (John 4:34)

This tells me that in the doing of God’s will and living without sin is nourishing and strength-giving, accomplishing a good thing in those who obey God and accomplish the tasks He gives! This is suggested by Paul as he describes the effect of obedience in his life:

In Christ Jesus, then, I have reason to be proud of my work for God. For I will not venture to speak of anything except what Christ has accomplished through me to bring the Gentiles to obedience—by word and deed, by the power of signs and wonders, by the power of the Spirit of God—so that from Jerusalem and all the way around to Illyricum I have fulfilled the ministry of the gospel of Christ... (Romans 15:17–19)

GAZING INTO HIS GLORY: God has a plan and will accomplish all of it. I make lots of plans; some are fulfilled and some are not, perhaps because they were bad plans. Looking to the purposes and accomplishments of God, creation is first, yet redemption stands out as the biggie! Christ, the Son of God, died in my place. He became my substitute to pay the price for all my sin, and to accomplish perfect righteousness, and to endure and remove all of God’s wrath. He rose from the dead for my eternal life and joy in his presence. I cannot do or be that, but this is the greatest news in the world. Since people receive faith and are “born again through the living and abiding word of God” then my role is to tell others the gospel, speaking the Word in love and being part of God’s purpose to accomplish the salvation of many.

No comments: