January 26, 2021

Lord, You want me to do what?

Yesterday I was praising God that He enabled me to hear Him and to obey His commands. One example is that I fit in with my husband’s needs as his ‘helper’ suited for that purpose. This morning he asked me to drive him from a place where he needs to leave his car for service. It is -20 C with a windchill of -28 C. I didn’t get enough sleep. I don’t want to. Yet if I listen, I hear God saying that my role as ‘helper’ is fulfilled by taking on this simple task.

One commentary says that a firmly structured society means people are responsible to their right to lead by God’s command. Whoever has a leadership role is in a position to command others and expect their obedience. My hubby isn’t bossy. He will be thinking of ways to spare me from going out this cold day, yet at the same time, is this what I want — a way out of doing what God wants me to do?

The Hebrew word for TO COMMAND means “to charge someone do something” yet in the context it hints that any request God makes, He also provides the means to accomplish it.

I think of ants, especially those who travel long distances carrying something bigger than they are. How do they do it? Isn’t it because they were created that way? Not only that, they do what they were created to do without putting their hands on their hips and saying, “I don’t want to” when the job seems too difficult.

COMMAND is a type of. “to request, order, cause to do, burden with responsibility, or to forbid” Hubby’s command was mostly a request, not an order. A few of God’s commands are requests, but as a Christian, I see most of them as “do this and in Me you will find all you need for the task.”

To back that up, when God “commanded” the world into existence, all creatures and elements therefore obey his command because that is how they were created. The Bible is clear that He also directs the course of history by decreeing crucial events. He also commands His people to live victorious lives that do not give into sin and selfishness. We can do that because of the new birth that He gives us with the indwelling power of His Spirit to enable our success.

I can do all things through him who strengthens me . . . . And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:13; 19)

This promise to supply is also why the Word of God can say:

Everyone who believes that Jesus is the Christ has been born of God, and everyone who loves the Father loves whoever has been born of him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and obey his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome. For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? (1 John 5:1–5)

His commands are not burdensome because what God commands to be done, He provides the means to accomplish it! I am not stuck with being unable.

His Word is true because He commanded it. He also commands blessing to those faithful to obey Him and will fill every part of what He promises to do. He says blessing accompanies obedience to His commands even as rebellion brings curses.

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. I could do what God says because I’m afraid if I don’t something bad will happen. However, God is not carrying a big stick. He loves me and wants the best for me. Wanting the best includes big and small commands, all of which require obedience to experience His very best. Obedience is based on loving trust — if I love Him and believe He rewards all who seek His ways, getting outside on a cold day is not a big deal.

 

No comments: