January 13, 2021

What belongs to God?

 

 

BELONG describes that which is the property of someone, their rightful possession. It can also describe being fit or acceptable to a place or position. Today I’m looking at what belongs to God and how this affects my life, first in the Bible passages that plainly state what is His . . .

“But a firstborn of animals, which as a firstborn belongs to the Lord, no man may dedicate; whether ox or sheep, it is the Lord’s.” (Leviticus 27:26) This was an important part of keeping social order in the ancient Near East. It tell me that God is concerned about peace in family life, inheritance procedures, and being orderly.

Two men told Joseph, “We have had dreams, and there is no one to interpret them.” And Joseph said to them, “Do not interpretations belong to God? Please tell them to me.” (Genesis 40:8) This may seem insignificant yet interpreting dreams could lead me away from godly principles. Therefore, if my mishmash of dreams have any meaning, it must come from the Lord.

“The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things that are revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may do all the words of this law.” (Deuteronomy 29:29) This is a bigger principle than dreams. God knows the hidden answers to my problems and questions; He reveals them not so I have special knowledge but so I and my children will obey Him.

“ . . .  Salvation belongs to the Lord; your blessing be on your people! Selah” (Psalm 3:7–8) and “Our God is a God of salvation, and to God, the Lord, belong deliverances from death.” (Psalm 68:20) Victory over sin is God’s doing. Without His blessing which includes eternal life, I am helpless. He also protects me from premature death.

“All the ends of the earth shall remember and turn to the Lord, and all the families of the nations shall worship before you. For kingship belongs to the Lord, and he rules over the nations.” (Psalm 22:27–28) God’s sovereignty is the reason to turn to Him in worship.

“Once God has spoken; twice have I heard this: that power belongs to God, and that to you, O Lord, belongs steadfast love. For you will render to a man according to his work.” (Psalm 62:11–12) My responses to knowing His power and love will affect His blessings in my life. Knowing is good, but action is vital!

“The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but the victory belongs to the Lord.” (Proverbs 21:31) No matter what God uses to bless me or give me victory all victory happens because of Him.

“Blessed be the name of God forever and ever, to whom belong wisdom and might.” (Daniel 2:20) Daniel makes it plain; all wisdom and power belongs to God. He also makes plain that my righteousness comes from Him:

To you, O Lord, belongs righteousness, but to us open shame, as at this day, to the men of Judah, to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to all Israel, those who are near and those who are far away, in all the lands to which you have driven them, because of the treachery that they have committed against you. To us, O Lord, belongs open shame, to our kings, to our princes, and to our fathers, because we have sinned against you. To the Lord our God belong mercy and forgiveness, for we have rebelled against him and have not obeyed the voice of the Lord our God by walking in his laws, which he set before us by his servants the prophets. (Daniel 9:7–10)

And this is why Jesus came and why I can belong to God:

You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him. (Romans 8:9)

Yet I have this treasure in a jar of clay to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to me. (2 Corinthians 4:7) As His Word says, “Whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.” (1 Peter 4:11)

GAZE INTO HIS GLORY. All good things belong to God. I’m deeply humbled and grateful that He allows me to share in His goodness. This means glory to Him, never to me.

 

No comments: