January 18, 2021

God calls us to a spectacular changed life!


God CALLS. In Hebrew, to call means giving someone or something a name that describes their character. In NT Greek, call can mean the same however there is another call that means: “to summon or authoritatively communicate a demand for the presence or participation.” Most of more than 800 uses of call are about naming something, but I want to focus on God summoning people to Himself.

One of the first mentions is when Jesus called a child and told His disciples, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 18:3–4) Simply put, those who come at His call are qualified to enter His kingdom and be great in that realm!

Jesus spoke often of many who are called (invited) compared to those few who are chosen (selected) creating a theological puzzle. The Bible is clear that we cannot earn salvation nor do we deserve it, yet it seems many are called by God yet not all are selected. What is the basis then of His choosing? Random? I don’t think so. Our response? If this is it, then why does He say faith is a gift? Perhaps because all gifts must be received and unwrapped before the recipient truly has them? Rather than trying to get into how this mystery works, what do with do with His call?

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified. (Romans 8:28–30)

God calls, invites, summons and appoints for His purpose. That purpose is to redeem and justify sinners and restore them to His original design — that we be reflections of His image and glorify Him. For that, we need a spiritual rebirth, a new nature, which is part of His calling.

For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. (Galatians 5:13)

Now the mystery becomes practical; I’m called to live in freedom but not freedom to sin. His calling is about freedom to be like Him — lovingly serving others. I can do this because His calling includes assurance that He will meet all my needs and keep all His promises. It also includes all the qualities described here . . .

. . .  walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. There is one body and one Spirit—just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call— one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all. But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ’s gift. (Ephesians 4:1–7)

GAZING INTO HIS GLORY. The calling of God is a marvel. Why me? I don’t know, but I do know that answering His call unfolds a rich, abundant life with all the above as well as spiritual gifts, the fruit of the Spirit, and everything needed to live as a redeemed child of God. All is a gift because of Jesus Christ who is at the very center of my life. He saved me, “called me to a holy calling, not because of my works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave me in Christ Jesus before the ages began, and which now has been manifested through the appearing of my Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel . . . for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that day what has been entrusted to me . . . . and by the Holy Spirit who dwells in me, I’m to guard this deposit entrusted to me” (2 Timothy 1:9–14 personalized) My part is daily choosing to listen to His Word and doing whatever He calls me to do.

 

No comments: