November 26, 2020

Building His Temple . . .

 

1 Chronicles 22; Micah 1; Luke 10; 1 Peter 3

One of my seminary courses was an Old Testament Survey with the focus of seeing Christ in that part of our Bible. The lectures and readings showed how God’s Word points to Jesus all through the Scriptures. Some of it seemed subjective at the time yet this theme is verified by what Jesus said to two disciples after His resurrection:

“And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he interpreted to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.” (Luke 24:27)

With that in mind as well as all the Scriptures linking King David with Jesus as our ultimate King, I noticed that David was not allowed by God to build the temple for a reason:

David said to Solomon, “My son, I had it in my heart to build a house to the name of the Lord my God. But the word of the Lord came to me, saying, ‘You have shed much blood and have waged great wars. You shall not build a house to my name, because you have shed so much blood before me on the earth. Behold, a son shall be born to you who shall be a man of rest. I will give him rest from all his surrounding enemies. For his name shall be Solomon, and I will give peace and quiet to Israel in his days. He shall build a house for my name. He shall be my son, and I will be his father, and I will establish his royal throne in Israel forever.’” (1 Chronicles 22:7–10)

The NT says that the temple of the Lord is now the church, the dwelling place of God. “Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you?” (1 Corinthians 3:16) The “you” in this verse is plural, yet it is also true that God’s Spirit lives in each of His people. We are all His temple.

There is much in the NT telling us how the church is built up and what it (and we) should be like as God’s temple. One of the instructions is in the story of Mary and Martha. The latter was “anxious and troubled about many things” but Mary “has chosen the good portion” as she sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to His teaching.

1 Peter 3 talks about respectful submission, a meek and quiet spirit, suffering for doing good, having a clear conscience, honoring Christ as holy and being respectful to those who asks about the hope that Christians have.

Mulling this over, I’m thinking of the various foundations that Christians adopt as the ‘best way’ to build the church or their own personal lives. Some are like David who build his kingdom with bloodshed. This is not literal today but it does suggest fighting for growth or even relying on shed blood, a hint of the rationalization: “I have sinned but the blood covers my sin.” This is correct theology but our spiritual lives should grow deeper than contentment with forgiveness over continued sin. The NT tells God’s people to, “leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity, not laying again a foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God . . . .” (Hebrews 6:1)

Besides that, the people Micah wrote to were rebuked for their continued sin yet the prophet pointed out God’s faithfulness to forgive. Their distinctiveness as God’s people was muddied by their behavior. God promised to keep His part of the covenant made with them but they failed to keep their promises and mature in faith.

After David died, the temple was constructed by Solomon, noted for being the wisest man that ever lived. This seems a more solid foundation for temple-building. God says, “If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.” (James 1:5)

Wisdom is that ability to reverence God and seek His will in every matter of life. Mary understood this. While serving the Lord is important, like Martha’s focus, but if it produces anxiety and stress, the remedy is doing what Mary did — sitting at the Lord’s feet and drawing wisdom and strength from His teaching.

APPLY: I can fall into a pattern of sin-confess-be forgiven-repeat rather than a pattern of admit my need-seek the will and power of God-be filled with the Spirit. I need to be a person of rest and wisdom as was Solomon. It is no coincidence that the temple he built was utterly amazing. David supplied the foundational materials just like the blood of Christ and salvation is my foundation, but to go from there means seeking the mind of God on every detail of life. Wisdom’s building blocks are in the Word of God and my ‘temple’ stands stronger when based on each brick of truth!

 

No comments: