November 27, 2020

Keep on . . .

 

1 Chronicles 23; Micah 2; Luke 11; 1 Peter 4

Yesterday I found an old devotional page I wrote on December 13, 1986 about persevering in prayer. Today’s reading in Luke begins with the Lord’s Prayer and then Jesus’ encouragement to persevere:

And he said to them, “Which of you who has a friend will go to him at midnight and say to him, ‘Friend, lend me three loaves, for a friend of mine has arrived on a journey, and I have nothing to set before him’; and he will answer from within, ‘Do not bother me; the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed. I cannot get up and give you anything’? I tell you, though he will not get up and give him anything because he is his friend, yet because of his impudence he will rise and give him whatever he needs. And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. (Luke 11:5–10)

The reading in 1 Peter also says this about prayer: “The end of all things is at hand; therefore be self-controlled and sober-minded for the sake of your prayers.” (1 Peter 4:7)

I thought about that 34-year-old devotional most of yesterday and after reading today’s passages, decided to record some of it again. It is convicting me to persist in prayer.

And Jacob was left alone. And a man wrestled with him until the breaking of the day. When the man saw that he did not prevail against Jacob, he touched his hip socket, and Jacob’s hip was put out of joint as he wrestled with him. Then he said, “Let me go, for the day has broken.” But Jacob said, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.” And he said to him, “What is your name?” And he said, “Jacob.” Then he said, “Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel, for you have striven with God and with men, and have prevailed.” Then Jacob asked him, “Please tell me your name.” But he said, “Why is it that you ask my name?” And there he blessed him. (Genesis 32:24–29)

This passage gives me much instruction in prevailing prayer:

AND JACOB WAS LEFT ALONE: Wrestling with God in prayer is a private matter. When I am alone, I have more freedom to bare my soul, knowing He knows all anyway.

GOD IS WRESTLING WITH ME. His way of testing just how much I want a blessing is to pit Himself against my energy to see how long I will persist. Many desires of the heart are easily thwarted. Only the survivors of wrestling will surface as real solid desires.

IN CAN LAST FOR A LONG TIME OF DARKNESS. Jacob wrestled all night.

IT WILL COST SOMETHING. Jacob's thigh went out of joint giving him a limp for the rest of his life. He was injured in the process of seeking a blessing but the blessing was more important to him than personal comfort. His desire passed the test of priority as well as persistence.

IT TAKES PRIORITY not only over physical comfort but over the challenges of a new day. Jacob didn't stop just because the sun came up and it was breakfast time. He did not take the attitude that life must go on. He persisted in prayer through the dawn.

IT REQUIRES HONESTY about who I am. When God asked Jacob his name, He was calling for a confession. For the Jews, their name was a description of their character. Therefore, to admit to Jacob was to admit to all he had done. I cannot prevail in prayer by cover-up or any claims I may have for acceptance. I must come to God open, exposed as it were, and willing to admit my true state.

IT REQUIRES A DEEP DESIRE TO KNOW GOD. Jacob asked, "Tell me, I pray thee, thy name." He wanted to know all about Him. Yet God only answered, "What is your motive, Jacob? Why do you want to know me?"

I know my own wrestling with God and how different it is when my desire is for a blessing, not for my own way. In James it says that God resists the proud, arranges things against them. But here Jacob admitted to being Jacob. Because of his humility, God blessed him, giving him a new name to replace the one that had torn down his image. He now could base his knowledge of himself on "Israel" which means "He will rule as God" instead of Jacob, the supplanter or schemer.

APPLY: In my selfish desires, I will not prevail against God. He will not give in. However, if I come to Him, admitting selfishness and asking for His blessing, I can expect it, but may have to wrestle with Him for it. He wants to know just how badly I want it. He knows I also must give up my selfishness to receive the blessing that I ask for.

 

No comments: