November 16, 2020

Return evil with good . . .

 

1 Chronicles 7–8; Amos 5; Luke 1:1–38; Hebrews 11

My sister, now with Jesus, taught me to have devotions by reading until something stopped me, then writing what God was saying to me in that passage. Sometimes I needed to study the context or look at cross references so I understood it properly. Most of the time, the passages that catch my attention have something to do with what is going on in my life. It might even jump out of context and the Holy Spirit applies it directly to me, even though it is important to know what it meant to the original readers and not get overly subjective lest I am deceived into thinking God is saying something He is not.

Yesterday, a family member who works as a greeter in a bank told me about customers who complain about bank fees they are paying because they use their savings account for checking instead of their checking account. She explains the difference and how a change in their practices would eliminate those fees. Instead of a glad “thank you” she often gets a rude, “Don’t tell me how to do my banking” or even worse. This puzzles me and I went to bed wondering why people would respond that way. This morning, the OT gave me this:

“They hate him who reproves in the gate, and they abhor him who speaks the truth.” (Amos 5:10)

Of course this is speaking about the wise leaders of Israel who sat in the city gates and give God’s answers to those with problems, but it also reveals human nature. Some people feel that good advice is an insult to their intelligence. Pride also rejects truth that suggests they have been deceived. This attitude results in incredible disrespect to those who only want to help.

God’s timing is amazing. Later in the day, I was able to share with her part of yesterday’s sermon at our church. It focused on Jesus’ explanation of the way to respond to those who treat is badly (Matthew 5:38-42). We must not fight or flee or retaliate but go above and beyond with kindness. Returning evil with good makes the other person’s behavior stand out even more in its ugliness.

Even though this young woman is not a person of faith, God is teaching her how faith works. Hebrews 11 says this:

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen . . . And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him. (Hebrews 11:1 & 6)

 For now, the bank is her authority and is training her to be polite and kind to those who come in, regardless of how they treat her. This requires faith that kindness is the best way. She admits she would like to return rudeness with rudeness and say insulting things, but she is trying to never do that because she wants to “do the right thing” rather than what she feels like doing. I’m impressed. I’ve been praying for her and see the God works in startling ways. He is showing her His wisdom before He reveals His saving power!

Hebrews 11 also speaks of the attitude of Moses. His attitude fits with the way Jesus tells us how to act when proud and rude people treat us in disrespectful ways:

By faith Moses, when he was grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter, choosing rather to be mistreated with the people of God than to enjoy the fleeting pleasures of sin. He considered the reproach of Christ greater wealth than the treasures of Egypt, for he was looking to the reward. (Hebrews 11:24–26)

The young bank employer wants to keep her job. She isn’t operating in faith yet, however she illustrates the choice made by Moses and the choice Jesus talks about in Matthew 5 . . .

“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if anyone would sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who begs from you, and do not refuse the one who would borrow from you.” (Matthew 5:38–42)

APPLY: God is not into ‘getting even’ but instead sent His Son to die for the prideful way sinners treat Him. He is good to me far beyond anything I could ever deserve or expect. To be like Jesus, means remembering that when the sins of others are directed toward me, I am to accept and forgive, with kindness and genuine love, just as He has done that for me.

 

No comments: