November 9, 2020

We have what we need to survive . . .

 

2 Kings 22; Psalms 140–141; Joel 1; Hebrews 4

Will history repeat itself? The people of God in the Old Testament had gone so far from what God intended them to be and do that their young king Josiah was overcome by shock and grief when the “book of the Law” was discovered in the run-down temple. He knew the mess their lives were in. He hurried to begin reforms — but it was too late. God would judge them, but He told this king that his eyes would not see the disaster that was coming because  his “heart was penitent” and he humbled himself before the Lord

The devotional comment for this chapter ended with, “The church is never more than a generation or two from apostasy and oblivion . . . .” which is theoretically true except that Jesus said, “I will build my church and the gates of hell (hades or the grave) shall not prevail against it.” (Matthew 16:18)

My cousin died a few years ago. He had three children. Two of them follow Jesus as do their spouses and children. One of these has decided to train for the mission field. He is twenty years old. A young woman loves Jesus. She is in school in northern Thailand and hopes to serve needy people. She is twelve years old. Around the world, children receive Christmas boxes that contain the Gospel message. That kindness and that message is turning hearts to Jesus by the thousands. There are more stories, but the failure of OT saints to stick to their mandate does not mean that the church will fail too. Christ continues to build.

Yet from my angle, the church does not look good — at least if I pay attention to secular media. The power of God and the righteousness of his people rarely make the news. However, Christian media tells of church growth in the most severely persecuted countries and the power of God in many unlikely places. Along with the psalmist David, I can hear many of God’s people pray . . .

Guard me, O Lord, from the hands of the wicked; preserve me from violent men, who have planned to trip up my feet . . . . I know that the Lord will maintain the cause of the afflicted and will execute justice for the needy. Surely the righteous shall give thanks to your name; the upright shall dwell in your presence . . . . But my eyes are toward you, O God, my Lord; in you I seek refuge; leave me not defenseless! Keep me from the trap that they have laid for me and from the snares of evildoers! Let the wicked fall into their own nets, while I pass by safely. (Psalm 141:4; 12-13; 8–10)

Our history is like OT history in that we also struggle against sin and against those who mock our faith, but the difference is the ancients looked forward in hope to a promised Redeemer while for us that Redeemer is part of our history, One to whom we can read about and know personally. He is the fulfilment of God’s promises, the high priest that changes everything and enables His people to press on . . .

Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need. (Hebrews 4:14–16)

The life and power of Jesus Christ has become the life and power of His people. He conquered sin and death, defeated evil and because of His mercy and grace, His people have all we need to stand firm in our faith and rise victorious to live with Him in our dying.

APPLY: I can rest in the wonder of God’s saving grace and His promises. The world throws a lot of disbelief and mocking muck at the people of God. Lord, grant me the grace to live like Jesus no matter what struggles I might face and no matter how my own selfishness resists You, my glorious Redeemer.

 

No comments: