July 23, 2018

Faith in Jesus and obedience are a solid foundation for life


Yesterday one of our pastors spoke about the importance of truth. He made it plain that no one can live a godly life unless what they think and how they act is based on truth. He also defined truth as what God says. Only God can know everything about everything. Ideas that look good to me might not line up with the life of Christ (who is truth) and the principles of His Word.

It was a thorough message that included the necessity of humility. I must realize and admit my errors before God can line them up with truth. He illustrated this with an actual plumb line. Truth measures my life and if it does not line up, then I must seek God’s will and cooperate with Him to make changes.

Most Christians know the children’s camp song about building our house upon a rock based on a passage from Matthew where Jesus used the idea as an illustration. Unfortunately, most of the song focuses on building on rock or sand and compares it to being built on Jesus Christ. It misses the point Jesus made:
“Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock.” (Matthew 7:24, italics mine)
Hear His words and do them. This illustration is about building on a secure foundation which is hearing and obeying the Word of God. It is the only way to develop a secure life that can withstand the storms life brings. Obedience is not mentioned in the child’s song even though some of the adult versions include it. 

Nor does that song mention ‘hearing’ Him in the first place. Jesus challenges me to pay attention to His words in a world full of noise and competing distractions.
I cannot say my husband is always good at hearing everything, but he is good at hearing God. From hearing God speak in that or any other message, he seems to grasp one truth and thinks about it for a long time. I’m more of a scatter brain. I try to remember the entire message and wind up not focusing on the parts I need to hear.

A solid rock or foundation is a good illustration, but this time it was not the illustration that echoes in my heart. It was the way the pastor applied it to all of life. I maintain that faith is practical yet he further reinforced it with dozens of examples of how to line up my life with the plumb line of God’s Word. By thinking of the Bible that way, the importance of measuring all I do and think (and say) becomes clearer.

He also clarified the need to keep short accounts. Without the humility that goes with confessing sin, I miss the negative power of personal pride to erode and even wipe out the foundation of truth. All my sinful ideas and responses to life have this “I can handle this myself” pride behind them. I jump into many things without seeking the Lord’s instruction or blessing. Then I call on Him to ‘fix’ the mess that didn’t need to happen in the first place.

^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, thank You for empowering Your servants to find strong principles for life in the Bible and then with clarity and grace help us hear You and give us encouragement to do what we hear. I don’t get up in the morning and plan on sin and crashing, but it does happen. I want to have a stronger foundation that enables me to better withstand the storms and challenges that come. Never stop teaching and reminding me!

No comments: