July 9, 2018

A reason for rejoicing in trials?


Tozer’s summary catches my thoughts. He writes: “Nearly all the great examples of faith and victorious grace which we find in the Scriptures came out of situations of extremity and distress. God loves hard places, and faith is usually born of danger and extremity.”

This is true in many conversions to Christianity, including my own. I’d messed up my life and began to seek some meaning to it. God grabbed hold of me while I was reading a book on reincarnation. The book was not biblical and did not answer my questions, but it had a verse of Scripture in it. I don’t remember the verse but do remember what happened when I read it. Jesus Christ walked into my living room and into my life. He began His redemptive work by granting me faith and changing my heart.

Sometimes I look back and almost blush at my naïve and self-focused beginnings. Sometimes I wonder if I have grown in grace at all since then. However, God makes a promise and reminds me that He finishes what He starts. Paul had the same assurance for the Christians at Philippi and Thessalonica:
“And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” (Philippians 1:6)
“Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it.” (1 Thessalonians 5:23–24)
Why is it that God uses the storms of life as gateways to our hearts? Isn’t it because sin has made us so stubborn, so hard of heart? We need to acknowledge He exists. He declared it in His creation, yet humanity can be entirely blind to that wonder. He declares it in answered prayer, in healings, in miracles. They might open our hearts, but not always. It is when we fall off a cliff and cling to the rocks without any hope that many of us turn to the God that we know is there but have previously ignored.

We also need to realize and acknowledge our need. Without repentance, there is no forgiveness. Without seeing and saying “I am a sinful person” there is no repentance. Isn’t this because our sin and determination to run our own lives is rooted in pride, pride that makes me assume I know better than Almighty God? It often takes a severe event to knock me off my perch.

Two phrases jump out of those two promises: “a good work” and “kept blameless” both contrary to the mess I made of things —not good, and the pride that put my life under judgment. Like anyone, the idea of God considering me blameless and without guilt is very appealing!

This week I’ve been impacted again by the Word of God regarding all the sinful mistakes of my past. But He quickly brought me to these verses:
“There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.” (Romans 8:1–2)
No condemnation. Not because of innocence, but because of Jesus. He traded His righteousness for my sin and guilt, died in my place, and set me free from the law of “you sin, you die.” Eternal life is mine as a gift. The good work began years ago, and the kept blameless part also. Both are ongoing. Both are precious.

^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, thank You that You know what I need to become the person You want me to be. Saying thanks seems too small and only words. May my life glorify You in every way I can, especially during those tough times that You use to shape my life and to prove Your faithfulness.


No comments: