June 30, 2018

The greatest gift . . .


Humility is often defined as not thinking little of yourself, but not thinking about yourself at all, only others. However, can that happen? When I look in the mirror and my face needs washing or my hair is disheveled, can I avoid thoughts of self as I fix those personal needs?
Instead, think about what God thinks about this. Paul wrote:

“For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.” (Romans 12:3)

“Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.” (Philippians 2:3)

The biblical injunction here is not to abandon all self thought, but to keep it in proper perspective. Just like what I wear is not as important as who I am, and bodily exercise is not as important as discipling myself to godliness. This is what God wants, and clearly my attitude and actions should be motivated without pride or a person agenda — because other people are more important.

The Christians at Philippi took care of the apostle Paul and their kindness did not go unnoticed. He rejoiced that they cared, yet he wasn’t concerned about himself. He had learned a valuable truth . . .

“I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.” (Philippians 4:10–13)

While he says “I can do all things” the context is not so much about doing as it is about standing up under the events of life, good or bad. Essentially, he said that because of Christ, he remained content no matter what happened to him. He also was saying that he could do whatever God wanted him to do because he was not worried or anxious about his own needs. He knew he could do the job and didn’t use his own needs as an excuse to refuse any task. He also knew that God was in charge and could be trusted.

As Tozer says, I cannot do in myself what God can do. I am a mere human, yet with the anointing of the Holy Spirit and His presence in my life, I can do what Jesus, God-Man did while on this earth. He shows me what a fully human person can do when they trust the Holy Spirit for everything.

Jesus, You never cease to challenge me. These verses and Tozer’s comment does just that: “Anyone can do the possible; add a bit of courage and zeal and some may do the phenomenal; only Christians are obliged to do the impossible.” It is by this that humility becomes genuine and by this that You are glorified. Thank You for the great gift of contentment and the assurance that makes it a reality.



No comments: