June 29, 2018

Good timing, God!


God’s timing is occasionally amusing. Yesterday I had my second session with a personal fitness trainer. I want to regain strength and improve mobility so my body doesn’t weaken anymore than it already is. Today’s devotional reading is this section that Paul wrote to a young pastor:

“If you put these things before the brothers, you will be a good servant of Christ Jesus, being trained in the words of the faith and of the good doctrine that you have followed. Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.” (1 Timothy 4:6–8)

Here, the first use of ‘being trained’ means being nourished. The other instances of ‘train’ and ‘training come from the same Greek word that we get gymnasium and gymnastics. It means to discipline yourself. So I am hearing, “Nourish yourself in the Word of God. There is value in this life to go to the gym but being well-fed by God’s teaching is vital for life now and eternal life later.”

I’m not sure if Timothy was preoccupied at a gym and aiming for a buff body, but this can be a major preoccupation for some people. The nearby rec center is filled with all ages wanting slim, muscular bodies. Could it be that some of them are Christians and skipping Bible study and prayer so they can lift weights and skip rope?

My workout was hard for me but felt good. This could gain admiration from family and friends. I can imagine my clothes fitting better and having more energy. God warns me to keep this new venture in proper priority. I’m thinking of another warning about priorities that was specifically pointed to women:

“Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives when they see your respectful and pure conduct. Do not let your adorning be external — the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear — but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God’s sight is very precious.” (1 Peter 3:1–4)

Lest that misunderstood ‘s’ word upset me, it simply means to stop insisting on my own way all the time and be more like Jesus who always puts others first. Submission is only possible for those who are filled by the Holy Spirit. That said, the connection to the passage about bodily exercise is about priorities. Peter is not telling women to stop doing their hair or wearing nice clothes; he is telling me to not make that a priority. It is the same with going to a personal trainer. If I want to please God or even impress others, I am supposed to be adorned with the beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, the spirit of godliness that by its presence declares that I am totally trusting Him.

Tozer emphasizes that godliness is like any other discipline or training; it requires practice that forms a habit. My husband models this in his generosity. He prays every time he sees a homeless person or beggar with a ‘help me’ sign. If God so indicates, he will turn around and drive out of his way to do whatever the Lord leads him to do. From this habit, he has a heart of compassion that convicts me. I’m more apt to suspect the person on the street has a Cadillac parked around the corner. Instead, I should be praying and following God’s leading.

^^^^^^^^^^
Lord, going to the gym is motivated by my own desires. Being a godly person must be motivated by the needs of other, whether a meal, a smile, a hug, or some money. First, I need to be more alert, but also less selfish and judgmental. Forming the habits of bodily exercise challenges me yet forming the habits of godliness is a greater challenge. Work in me so that the less important discipline reminds me of the more important and motivate me to keep at it. Both kinds of exercise will remind me of how out of shape I am!

No comments: