June 27, 2018

Glory to me? Really?


Sorrow easily overwhelms me when I ponder my unworthiness. This is futile because unworthiness is another mark of genuine Christianity. Thinking I can earn or deserve the blessings of God is a lie and marks lack of faith. Faith is expressed in trusting Jesus alone, not in anything I could do or have done.

“But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.” (Titus 3:4–7)

Any good things I may have done before I was saved, and any works of righteousness since then do not count. He saved me ‘according to His own mercy’ and He did it by giving me new life through the power of the Holy Spirit. My efforts are not part of the saving process. They do not necessarily mark me as a saved person either. Those who do not believe in Jesus can be kinder, more thoughtful, more generous and better behaved than I am. My salvation is not about how I measure on the scale of goodness or godliness, but about the grace of God.

Tozer says too many people read and study the Bible as a piece of literature or a textbook. I’ve read it as an owner’s manual, a book that tells me how I should live more than I’ve read it as the story of God’s love and grace and the revelation of Jesus Christ. I’ve made it a book about how to live more than a book about how He gives life. By doing this, my testimony is more about the way God has changed me than it is about how God is — for everyone He loves.

Making Scripture personal and practical is a good thing, but like anything else this can go to such extremes. Instead of glorifying God, it gives me reasons to pat myself on the back or bemoan the sense of feeling like there is no way to measure up to His high standards. What then is the purpose of reading the Bible? Besides being God’s way of producing faith as He reveals that truth to sinners, it is about teaching me how to think, about renewing my mind so that I live rightly. It puts my hope in the right place and gives me reason to endure through the tough times of life:

“For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.” (Romans 15:4)

It helps me teach truth to others and rebuke those who have a contrary version:

“He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.” (Titus 1:9)

It equips me to do good by dealing with my own sin and learning obedience:

“All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.” (2 Timothy 3:16–17)

And it also tells me the reason for these things . . . not for my own glory so I can boast but . . .

“So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.” (1 Corinthians 10:31)

“And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” (Colossians 3:17)

“Whoever speaks, as one who speaks oracles of God; whoever serves, as one who serves by the strength that God supplies—in order that in everything God may be glorified through Jesus Christ. To him belong glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen.” (1 Peter 4:11)

“But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ.” (Philippians 3:7)

Jesus, I know You desire a godly life, but that happens best when You are glorified and honored above all. “Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!”

No comments: