June 24, 2018

No patience?


“Slower than the Second Coming” is an expression of impatience, along with “Hurry up” and “Are we there yet?” People tell me they do not do certain things because, “I don’t have the patience.”

The Bible says patience is a fruit of the Spirit meaning that it is a quality from God. However, the Bible also says that it is an important virtue developed by suffering:

“Not only that, but we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance . . .” (Romans 5:3)

“You know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.” (James 1:3–4)

As with all things available to me through the Holy Spirit, I have a choice. When life hands me trials, big or small, I can choose my human response of impatience, or the response of the Holy Spirit to steadfastly endure, to be patient. In thinking about it, this ability to remain steadfast under a trial rather than trying to escape is rooted in faith. Is God sovereign? Is this thing, large or small, testing what I believe about Him?

Most of the time I don’t analyze. Little things, like my sewing machine running out of bobbin thread, or the pot boiling over on the stove don’t seem like a test from God. Yet in the early years as a Christian, I would tense up, become annoyed, and express words of impatience. As time passes, I notice myself calming refilling the bobbin and calmly cleaning up the mess. A multitude of trials produce patient endurance. If this happens in the little stuff, it also happens in the more vital issues, including the Second Coming.

When all goes well, I might not think about Jesus returning, but there are days when I wish it would happen. No doubt this is how the Apostle John felt when he was exiled. The Angel of the Lord (Jesus) appeared to him as he yearned that He would soon return and make all things right. John needed patient endurance and was suffering just as many Christians suffer as we wait. Jesus reassured him:

“Do not seal up the words of the prophecy of this book, for the time is near. Let the evildoer still do evil, and the filthy still be filthy, and the righteous still do right, and the holy still be holy. Behold, I am coming soon, bringing my recompense with me, to repay each one for what he has done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end.” (Revelation 22:10–13)

I hear Him say not to give up. Don’t think that He is finished speaking to me. I want evil to be over, but it is not time yet. I need to be glad that God’s people are still around, still able to do right. Jesus says He is coming soon, but I must trust Him that He will come ‘soon’ and focus on that promise. He said, ‘I am coming’ and He will come. He started this created world and He will accomplish His purpose. This trial of waiting for Him develops patient endurance, steadfastness.

^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, as I wait for You to come, waiting for other things to happen seems less of a strain. One day, the trials of life will be as nothing. The dwelling place of God will be with us. You will live in our midst and we will be Your people with You Yourself with us as our God. You will wipe away every tear from our eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things will have passed away. (Revelation 21:3–4). This means no more impatient waiting and no more need for endurance. Come, Lord Jesus!

No comments: