June 26, 2018

Identifying genuine faith


A friend and I discussed what is the best evidence of genuine Christianity. Many would say that real Christians do good deeds for the down-trodden. Others say Christians will love and accept all people. A smaller consensus would affirm solid doctrine as the mark of faith. Another consensus would say that genuine Christians go to church and fellowship with other Christians.

All of these can find Scripture that supports their opinions. However, in at least one situation Jesus affirmed a believer who had no opportunity to fulfill any of those criteria. The thief on the cross beside Him said he believed and Jesus told this man he would join him in paradise.

I’m thinking of the importance of telling others. In Canada, Christians tend to be less vocal about their faith than Americans. Even though a loud “I believe in Jesus” does not guarantee it is true, it does follow the teaching in Romans 10.

“’The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart’ (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.” (Romans 10:8–10)

The importance of declaring my faith reminds me that Jesus said what comes out of my mouth reveals what is in my heart. (Matthew 15). If genuine faith is in there, it will come out in words. This does not negate those other ‘evidences’ of true Christianity but does identify the source. Genuine Christians live by faith from the heart.

This is exemplified in the lives of the apostles. Peter began the proclamation by declaring the importance of faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. His listeners already agreed that they should do good, live righteously, and spend much time in the company of the people of God. Yet faith is not about the effect it has on us but about the object of faith, the One in whom we believe:

“Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with mighty works and wonders and signs that God did through him in your midst, as you yourselves know— this Jesus, delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men. God raised him up, loosing the pangs of death, because it was not possible for him to be held by it . . . This Jesus God raised up, and of that we all are witnesses. Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing. For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he himself says, ‘The Lord said to my Lord, “Sit at my right hand, until I make your enemies your footstool.”’ Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.” (Acts 2:22-24; 32–36)

In this, Peter also brings out another mark of genuine Christianity; Jesus was crucified because of our sin. He died so that those who believe in Him will not perish. No one who truly believes in Jesus can deny the fact and the consequences of their own sin.

^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, every time You bring me to consider the wonder of the gospel, I am struck again with the seriousness of my sin and by the marvel of Your grace. I’m not saved by what I do or how I think or who I love; I am saved because You died for me and granted me the gift of faith. My gratitude is hard to express in words. Grant me a greater understanding of what to say and how to say it — but also how I can often express this marvel in a life well-lived for You.

No comments: