January 16, 2018

Using spiritual gifts rightly



There is a spiritual gift called discernment, sometimes referred to as a gift of prophecy. This can include the ability to see the future, but it is more about the ability to see things as they really are. This visionary gift is from God, and without the Spirit of God, it cannot function properly.

John the Baptist had it. He knew what was happening and could see the reality of Jesus, who Jesus is and why He came to this earth.

The next day he saw Jesus coming toward him, and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world! This is he of whom I said, ‘After me comes a man who ranks before me, because he was before me.’ I myself did not know him, but for this purpose I came baptizing with water, that he might be revealed to Israel.”
And John bore witness: “I saw the Spirit descend from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him. I myself did not know him, but he who sent me to baptize with water said to me, ‘He on whom you see the Spirit descend and remain, this is he who baptizes with the Holy Spirit.’ And I have seen and have borne witness that this is the Son of God.” (John 1:29–34)

The Bible makes no mention of anyone else who saw the dove as John saw it, or if they did, no one recognized that this was the Holy Spirit who “came like a dove, descended like a dove, putting down His pink feet and disappearing into the heart of the Son of God.”

The prophets had this gift. God told them what to say and they spoke to God’s people about the reality of their lives, the rebellion in their hearts, the promises of God for them — either for correction and change, or for blessing if they obeyed.

I knew a woman who was strongly gifted in discernment. However, she had trouble with this gift. She understood the needs and problems of God’s people yet instead of praying or speaking prophetically, she was mostly critical of everyone and everything. Her evaluations were usually correct, but her manner of dealing with them was a thorn and unhelpful to the Body of Christ.

From this passage, I’m instructed. First and perhaps most important is the attitude of John. He ranked Jesus as primary. That means John did not take the place of judge and jury when God gave him a special understanding. He merely declared it, recognizing his place and his purpose in God’s plan. He put the will of God first, and the attitude of Jesus Christ was his guide.

Also, John made no claim that what he saw was from his own ability to see. He did not know until God told him what he should know. Only then did he claim to have “seen and born witness” to the identity and purpose of God the Son.

Good advice on this matter comes from Oswald Chambers who said that God gives spiritual understanding, not so His people will criticize and complain, but so we will pray. This is good thinking. It is easy to point fingers, much more difficult to bring the issues to the Lord and trust Him to take care of them.

Tozer brings out one more point. John the Baptist was a discerning prophet at a time where this gift was rare. He knew what was happening long before others had a clue about Jesus. He was not affected by the four hundred years of silence or all the speculation about Jesus. He knew — because God revealed it to him and because he had the humility to deal with that revelation.

^^^^^^^
Jesus, so often I can ‘see’ but instead of praying or seeking Your will concerning what I must do about what I see, I point my fingers and complain or criticize. This must change. Forgive me for abusing and misusing any discernment You give and hold me accountable to be more like Your servant John and certainly more like You.

No comments: