January 10, 2018

God goes much farther than a mere text message. . .



Today’s devotional passage describes that somber time when Jesus explains to His disciples that He is leaving them. I try to imagine what that would be like — a loss of His presence must have been a great grief to their minds and hearts, like saying goodbye to a dying spouse, or a son leaving for war.

This season, I have a new smart phone. I like email, but it has its limits. Texting is supposed to be the thing, but I’ve already realized it does not appeal to me very much. I’d rather phone those near to me or talk with them face-to-face. Call that old school, but verbal conversations offer an intimacy that electronics does not.

The problem changes with distance. Separation is difficult, even with our modern communications of telephone, Skype and texting. When this happens to me with family or friends, the fear that communication will also be severed compounds my sorrow. We need people. I need people. I need family and friends.

Sadly, a recent survey shows nearly half those needing counselling say they prefer it done by texting. They don’t want to talk to anyone. I’m concerned for those who isolate themselves, particularly those who isolate themselves to keyboards only. I’m convinced that a text message will never satisfy the human heart. For some, I suppose it is better than nothing, but it does not do what a real live voice can do.

This is what Jesus told His disciples on that sad day:

“But I have said these things to you, that when their hour comes you may remember that I told them to you. I did not say these things to you from the beginning, because I was with you. But now I am going to him who sent me, and none of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ But because I have said these things to you, sorrow has filled your heart. Nevertheless, I tell you the truth: it is to your advantage that I go away, for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you. But if I go, I will send him to you.” (John 16:4–7)

Tozer writes that, “The Holy Spirit came to carry the evidence of Christianity from the books of apologetics into the human heart.” While I agree that the Holy Spirit takes the words of theologians and puts them into our hearts, I also now realize He does the same with His own words!

The Word of God could be considered like a text message. It is what God says to us in written form. However, He knew that would not be sufficient. The frenzy today to communicate with text messages only increases because it is not satisfying. It is insufficient. We need a voice, a real live voice.

Jesus knew that. He was not going to leave His people with just a text — as marvelous as that text is to us. He sent the real live voice of the Holy Spirit, who carries the words of Jesus into our hearts. The reality of this truth brings me such joy that I am weeping.

^^^^^^^^^
Dear Lord, You think of everything. You know the human heart, our universal need for someone close, who understands and comforts, who never leaves or forsakes us. What a blessing to have the Holy Spirit in my heart. He points to You. He helps and comforts me. His name means ‘one who draws alongside.’ Even though You are no longer here in the flesh, the Holy Spirit clearly brings Your presence into my life as a living, real life voice, a reality like no other!

No comments: