January 22, 2018

Is there a worm in my apple?



Is there a difference between the joy of obedience and the elation of success? Tozer hints at this by saying, “God may allow His servant to succeed when He has disciplined him to a point where he does not need to succeed to be happy.”

Yesterday, someone asked me how I felt. When I replied, “Blessed” she said, “Then you are better?” I said, “Whether I am better or not, I am blessed.” I meant it.

This brought joy to her face as she agreed, and joy to my heart because the conversation was about the goodness of God rather than the emotions of how I was feeling. With these thoughts today from Tozer, I am thinking about God’s joy that does not depend on circumstances and the joy of obedience, compared to the delight most of us feel when things go well.

Tozer suggests that the person who is elated by success and cast down by failure is a carnal person whose fruit at best will have a worm in it. That is, if my emotional state depends on my performance, then my reliance on God is not total. With that, I must ask myself if I would have felt blessed even if no one talked to me and I did not say anything about being blessed? Would I experience that deepening joy of God without pointing others to the fact of it? Was I joyful simply because this was the fruit of the Spirit, or joyful because I shared it?

Yikes. As I write this, the term ‘navel gazing’ pops into mind. It would be far more profitable to ask God to reveal any “worms” than try to figure out such questions.

Tozer also say that God allows success to those who know that success does not earn God’s favor. I cannot do anything apart from Christ or the power of the Holy Spirit, so this joy is not about me anyway. God gives words to say, and if that happens, then it is God who gets the glory. He makes all goodness happen . . .

When the earth totters, and all its inhabitants, it is I who keep steady its pillars. Selah I say to the boastful, ‘Do not boast,’ and to the wicked, ‘Do not lift up your horn; do not lift up your horn on high, or speak with haughty neck.’ ” For not from the east or from the west and not from the wilderness comes lifting up, but it is God who executes judgment, putting down one and lifting up another. (Psalm 75:3–7)

Joy is from God, period.

This Scripture has another practical application in a day when we are concerned about our political leaders. Do they belong where they are? God answers that by declaring He is the one who puts people in the places where He wants them. That ‘lifting up’ is only from Him, as is the putting down. A couple of other passages repeat this truth:

The Lord makes poor and makes rich; he brings low and he exalts. (1 Samuel 2:7)
He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding; he reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what is in the darkness, and the light dwells with him. (Daniel 2:21–22)

Both the people of Canada and the USA are divided concerning our leaders. Christians are told to pray for those in places of power, but many are upset and angry with decisions and lack of decisions. All of us need to remember that the God who works all things according to His purposes has set up those leaders. He can give them what is needed to do whatever He wants done. My role is to pray accordingly.

On a personal level, I would want others to pray for me the same way — that God would put me where He wants me, give me wisdom and understanding so I am most concerned to do His will, and fill me with His Spirit that I would have the ability to obey Him. Another insight would be the realization that I am accountable to God and that He is Lord of my life. I cannot earn or deserve His favor for my acceptance is based on what Jesus Christ has done, not on me or my performance.

^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, this is a radical attitude shift. Personally, I’m beginning to understand what it means to me and whatever You give me to do. As for those in places of power, the idea that God is in charge might be totally foreign to them, never mind the reality that You can take them down if that is Your will. Lord, we need leaders who know and bow before You, who are humble and call out to You for wisdom, leaders whose joy is in You and not in their own successes. Yet when I pray this way, I must realize that this also applies to me. I do not lead anything, but my joy and all situations of life are in Your hands — including every breath that I take. May Your will be done!

No comments: