January 23, 2018

The next step is . . .



This morning, I came to the Word of God with impatience in my heart toward those who hear truth and agree with it, but almost immediately forget what they heard. I wondered what is going on? Why does that happen?

Today’s Scripture passage is a ‘big picture’ truth that at first had me tangled up in the details. However, the Holy Spirit gives me a broader look. This is the passage:

Therefore, having this ministry by the mercy of God, we do not lose heart. But we have renounced disgraceful, underhanded ways. We refuse to practice cunning or to tamper with God’s word, but by the open statement of the truth we would commend ourselves to everyone’s conscience in the sight of God. And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. (2 Corinthians 4:1–6)

Tozer puts the problem of blindness to truth in the hands of Satan who does the blinding and people who willfully refuse to see. This brings to mind the idea that we walk with Christ along a path like a person walking with a flashlight; we must step into the light God gives us before that light moves ahead to reveal the next step.

I’ve thought of this in terms of those who are Christ’s and in the process of becoming like Christ. Yet this also applies to those who do not know Him. They are also on a path and searching for whatever works for them. In spiritual matters, the first light God gives is that He exists. God reveals this truth to everyone, even to those who suppress this truth:

For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19–20)

These are people who know there is a God but do not honor or give thanks to Him. By refusing to step into this light, no more light is given. The next step cannot be taken unless the existence of God is believed:

And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him. (Hebrews 11:6)

What more can God show to a person who rejects this revelation!

A big picture view of redemption tells me that the next light is likely that revelation that I am a sinner and fall short of the glory of God. While there may be other steps before this one, this is a bright light. If refused, again, what else can God do? The gospel may be preached, but without the sense of ‘I need it’ there is no advancement made.

One commentary says that the sun does not cease to be sun even if a blind person cannot see it. The light is there, but the person who insists they don’t need it cannot see beyond that truth; it is offensive to them. They might go from that into all sorts of cults and isms to find a more “tasteful” salvation plan that does not require them to yield their lives in unconditional surrender to God. At this, their minds slide into the realm of the Liar who messes with them, so they will not and cannot think as God thinks.

Satan knows how to keep sightless those who rebel against God. When light is refused, the uncomprehending mind is unaffected by more light because of their blindness to the light they already have. Without responding to it, their journey toward God and truth grinds to a halt.

This big picture of spiritual blindness speaks also to me. It explains and warns of the danger of disobedience. In grace, when I refuse something God shows me, He will take me back over the lesson in various ways on that part of the path until I ‘get it’ — yet while that is happening, my spiritual life goes in circles. We sometimes liken it to the Israelites wandering around in the wilderness. This is what happens when anyone says no to the light God gives — progress is hindered if not halted.

Lately, I’ve noticed this wandering in others but have become impatient, even grumbling, why don’t they realize this? However, until today I’d not connected their lack of light with a failure to walk in the light they already have. These Scripture passages help me know how to pray for ‘stalled’ believers and unbelievers. I don’t know what they are stumbling over, but I can pray God will help them step into the light they have.

I also need to pray about my impatience. It is a hindrance to my own progress. If I am going to be more like Jesus, then I must be less annoyed with people, more understanding, more considerate in my prayers and with greater long-suffering toward those who struggle against the light God has presented to them as their next step.

^^^^^^
Jesus, You are so quick to answer my prayer for wisdom concerning patience. I know that the Holy Spirit will grant this to me as soon as I step into this light that You have given me. Thank You.

No comments: