August 10, 2011

Suffering because . . . ?

Watching scenes of looting and chaos in England brings feelings of dismay, even outrage. One image showed a couple with a small child simply trying to go home through a group of masked hooligans raising their fists at the police.

No doubt some of the people suffering because of this anarchy are Christians. While God can protect His people from such things, this may not happen. Throughout church history, suffering even dominates for God says, “Indeed, all who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil people and impostors will go on from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.” (2 Timothy 3:12–13)

However, not all suffering is because of godliness. Sometimes people hate us because of what we believe, but we can also suffer because we have done something foolish ourselves. The Bible instructs about this contrast and adds another element . . . 

Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery trial when it comes upon you to test you, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice insofar as you share Christ’s sufferings, that you may also rejoice and be glad when his glory is revealed. If you are insulted for the name of Christ, you are blessed, because the Spirit of glory and of God rests upon you. But let none of you suffer as a murderer or a thief or an evildoer or as a meddler. Yet if anyone suffers as a Christian, let him not be ashamed, but let him glorify God in that name. For it is time for judgment to begin at the household of God; and if it begins with us, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God? And “If the righteous is scarcely saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?” Therefore let those who suffer according to God’s will entrust their souls to a faithful Creator while doing good. (1 Peter 4:12–19)
My devotional for today points out that anyone who chooses suffering has something amiss in their thinking. No healthy Christian ever chooses suffering. Instead, we choose God’s will as Jesus did, whether it means suffering or not. This is a learned discipline, learned because it takes time to realize that God intends ultimate good for us and that we glorify Him in all situations.

However, we can also suffer because God is using it to change our lives. Accepting and profiting from this requires discipline and humility in my own heart. It also requires discernment when God uses suffering to shape other people, or to draw them to Himself when nothing else seems to do it. I need to realize that I cannot dare interfere with His discipline in the life of another.

For some, this is terribly difficult. Graced with compassion and a desire that others are happy and feel good, some Christians can barely watch the television news, never mind consider that another Christian is “suffering according to God’s will.” Yet as I think of my own struggles with sin and suffering, I realize that God is pleased when His people grasp His way of using suffering to make other saints strong and mature for God.

When I suffer, those who do me the most good never sympathize or pity me. Such a response turns my heart inward to do the same and tempts me to self-pity. Even Jesus rebuked this attitude. When He explained to His disciples that He would suffer and die, “Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him, saying, ‘Far be it from you, Lord! This shall never happen to you.’”

Anyone might think this is an encouraging word, but Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a hindrance to me. For you are not setting your mind on the things of God, but on the things of man.”(Matthew 16:22–23)

Most of the time, I have no idea what God is doing. It seems that He wastes lives and puts people into situations that waste time and resources also. I have my ideas of what is valuable and useful, but God puts His people where we will glorify Him. I cannot judge where that is.

Further, to do so may lead me to cast a judgment on God’s character. When that happens, God never answers back or vindicates Himself, so I could blindly and ignorantly hold to the idea that I know more about Him than I do. Jesus did not need sympathy in His earthly life. He refused sympathy from Peter because He knew that Peter nor anyone else understood what He was doing. He took sympathy only from His Father and from the angels who ministered to Him. Both Jesus and Peter instruct me.

**************
Father, because You have shown me this and taught me to value Your purposes in suffering, I’m not always sympathetic when others suffer, even when I need to be. Give me the discernment to know when to empathize and when to encourage suffering people to look away from themselves toward You. Teach me the right time and way to show mercy — and the right time and way to not interfere with Your dealings in others as they experience difficult times.

No comments: