October 18, 2008

Walking as Friends

Amos is called a minor prophet, not because his words are less important but because his book is shorter. God called him from his farming to speak to Israel of His condemnation of their sinful lives and warn them of judgment.

In Amos 3:3, He asks a thought-provoking question, “Can two walk together, unless they are agreed?

Today’s devotional reading brought out some ideas about this short verse. It reminded me of when I loved the world and when worldly things were part of my comfort zone. After Christ came into my life, I began to realize that God and I disagreed about that value system. He began to show me the world is filled with evil. I began to see that some of what I thought was good is an abomination in His sight.

As I started to see the widespread sin that is under God’s curse, I realized how much I had loved some of those things and began to feel uncomfortable. If God denounced them, how could I favor them? That would mean He and I disagreed. I didn’t want that.

Now I know that if I am to agree with God, I must have God’s thoughts in my heart, God’s ways in my life. I must love the things He loves, some of which are far outside my comfort zone. Since God does not change, and since being changed into the image of His Son is my privilege and destiny, then my mind must undergo a transformation.

We have friends who live in east Asia. When they first went there, the language and culture were puzzles. The people of that area did not think the same way as they did, and they quickly learned that if they wanted to become friends with any of them, they needed to understand their thinking. After many years, they are still learning.

In the same way, thinking God’s thoughts is not an easy matter. His ideas are so opposite most of mine. He even says in Isaiah 55:8, “For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways.” This is something that does not come naturally nor easily!

Romans 12:2 says, “Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Since God wants my mind renewed and this renewal is part of His transformation process, to be like Jesus I must think like Jesus thinks. As Amos says, I cannot walk with Him if I do not agree with Him.

What does it mean to be friends, to walk together? Some might say it is enjoying a unity and harmony of thought, a communion that never allows differences to ruin the relationship. It is a fellowship of mutual love and trust, and a deep friendship.

As God works on renewing my mind, I am more in harmony with His thoughts and more aware of His presence. I also am more certain that He hears my prayers and more able to experience Him speaking with me.

How is this possible? Part of the answer is that God set up a mercy-seat where I can meet with Him. As He enlightens me to see His truth and touches my heart to feel His power, He also draws my affections to love the same things He loves.

This place of meeting is sprinkled with blood. It contains (but also hides from view) the broken tables of the law. Instead of working at keeping rules that I cannot keep anyway, I’m there because Jesus is my Redeemer, my access to this Holy place—the throne of God. He meets me there in mercy and grace. He helps me pour out my soul before Him, tell Him my troubles, trials, and temptations. Often He graciously relieves my burdens with a precious promise, or a portion of His sacred truth. He encourages me to believe in Jesus and to continue to hope in His mercy.

I don’t call myself a friend of God because I’ve too often not acted like it, but I can say God is my friend. He has never failed me. His path is sure, and when His grace keeps me walking on that path in harmony with Him, then I experience the ultimate friendship.

No comments: