October 11, 2007

The Wisdom of my Body Builder

I love that KIA commercial where the elderly man picks up three Goth-types whose vehicle is broken down. He takes them through all sorts of wild terrain, yelling at the top of his lungs at every bump, splash and skid. The three start with solemn faces, but are soon yelling along with him and leaping in delight when they get out of his vehicle.

While the change in three young men delights me, the elderly man is of more interest. He seems to be the most unlikely person to pick up three strange and oh-so serious strangers, then on top of that, acts like a teenager himself, using a wild ride in his vehicle to break them out of their grim exterior into wild and crazy laughter. If these were not actors, I’d like to know that man who surprises me with his unexpected people skills!

Christians are described in the New Testament as being like a human body. In 1 Corinthians 12, Paul uses that metaphor to say that all parts are necessary and that I should love everyone, never thinking that some members of His body are unimportant.

I hate to admit that I’ve done that. Outward appearance, slowness in some way, and so on, have been my excuse for dismissing people and God rebukes me for that. Verses 21-25 say, “And the eye cannot say to the hand, ‘I have no need of you’; nor again the head to the feet, ‘I have no need of you.’ No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary. And those members of the body which we think to be less honorable, on these we bestow greater honor . . . But God composed the body, having given greater honor to that part which lacks it, that there should be no schism in the body, but that the members should have the same care for one another.

Every body part is important. I was reminded of that again this morning when I whacked my left hand against a hard corner. Blood started flowing from the main knuckle of my ring finger. It has a tight bandage, but is still seeping. The two fingers on either side are also sore, and I’ve a feeling I may not do much at the keyboard today. Those fingers that seem rather unimportant have suddenly taken center-stage.

The metaphor for Christ’s body is also illustrated in my Bible class. Sometimes the people who seem less ‘with it’ in terms of input and discussion say things that turn our heads — and our hearts. These parts that seem to be weaker are necessary.

Every few weeks, we are joined by a woman whom many might call a bag lady. She obviously has some mental problems, and often sits without saying anything, yet when she speaks, her transparent attitude and practical knowledge of the Lord’s care elevate our discussion. When she first came, I struggled with the distraction of her wandering attention and words, but God gives this weaker member greater honor and uses her, a most unlikely ‘part’, to bless and draw the rest of us closer to Himself.

Every believer, no matter how insignificant we might feel at times, is in the Body of Christ for a reason. God says so. Whatever function I have differs from that of others, but all are vital to the working of a healthy and growing church. Our Lord is our Body builder, and He knows what He is doing.

No comments: