October 31, 2007

Practice, practice, practice

Playing the piano well means hours of practice. Drawing, writing, painting, quilt making, baking, interior decorating, or any artistic effort (and other skills too) usually improve with the doing. Do I have any reason to think that spirituality is different?

Paul wrote about the stuff in his life that he considered worthless and must be left behind. Instead, he wanted to know Christ and reach the perfections promised him in redemption. He wrote, “Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:12-14).

He had been a Christian for many years when he wrote this, yet he knew that he had not yet arrived. Being like Jesus is a lifelong pursuit. In fact, 1 John 3:2 says, “Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when he appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.

In other words, when I see Jesus, the transformation will be complete. This incredible hope is based on the promise and power of God, yet, verse 3 is clear; spirituality is like music lessons and other endeavors. It says, “Everyone who has this hope in him purifies himself, just as he is pure.

In other words, if I want to be like Jesus, I need to practice.

The Scriptures contain all kinds of ways to do that. Some call them spiritual disciplines. I call them ‘places of grace’ and my reason for that is simple; spiritual disciplines are what I do, the places I put myself, but grace is what transforms me. I cannot make myself into the image of Christ any more than a stone can turn itself into a poodle, or a poodle into an oak tree.

Author Richard J. Foster in his classic book, “Celebration of Discipline” lists these categories: inward disciplines, outward disciplines, and corporate disciplines. He says, and I agree, that the practice of these put us into places where God can perfect us. In ourselves, the mere doing can be ritual or even a waste of time, but as God takes hold of me while I do them then my life changes.

Inward disciplines include meditation, prayer, fasting and study. Study gives me truth to fill my mind in meditation. Study also helps me pray in the will of God. Fasting sharpens the mind so I can hear God’s direction and guidance as I study and pray.

Outward disciplines are simplicity, solitude, submission and service. Simplicity is setting my mind and space around me free from clutter. I’m really working on this one these days. Solitude, being alone to commune with God and experience His presence, has the amazing effect of making His presence and that two-way communion easier to experience in a crowd.

Submission is saying yes to God and others and sets me free from the tyranny of always insisting on my own way. Some things matter, but most of my ‘I wants’ are not that important. Being like Jesus means serving others, meeting their needs, putting them first.

Corporate disciplines include confession, worship, guidance and celebration. Confession is a dual thing. In the Bible, this word means ‘agreeing with God’ or saying the same thing as God. I must agree with Him about my sin, that is, confess my sins. I must also say what He says about my salvation and confess Jesus Christ as my Savior and Lord.

Worship is a lot of things, mostly the expression (in some way or other) of the glory of God. It is tied closely to celebration (see yesterday’s post) and according to Allen P. Ross, true worship makes me a participant in the glory of God—thus as I worship I become more like Jesus.

Guidance is also a spiritual discipline, emphasis on the word ‘discipline.’ Sin, as defined in Scripture, is that deep-rooted inclination to go my own way, do my own thing, ignoring God, and in most cases ignoring everyone else. Seeking His guidance involves reading the Bible, prayer, listening to His Spirit, but also listening to His people. No one has spiritual insights in their absolute fullness. We need one another. I need to hear the unique perspective of others so I can stay on track as I press on toward that prize. This requires discipline.

My devotional book uses a phrase that prompted these thoughts. It says until we reach glory and worship in the heavenly sanctuary with the angelic choirs, “we are merely tuning our instruments.”

I’d drop the word “merely” because as significant as that goal is over the warming up (and as discordant as my playing along sometimes is), God tells me over and over that He wants me to work hard at keeping myself in tune.

No comments: