October 3, 2007

Do I need to know Greek?

When the preacher starts saying, “and in the Greek, it says . . .” those in the pews start to nod off. A few love the original languages and enjoy understanding the nuances they bring to Scripture, but most realize that you can get a correct interpretation without knowing Hebrew and Greek. Even the most difficult passages become clearer if you study the entire Bible.

Will this always work for us? Maybe, but maybe not. Case in point: in every culture and every part of the world, the idea comes up that people can earn their salvation. If a person believes in an afterlife, they have a corresponding list of good deeds that, if done sincerely, will get them there. However, when Christians share the gospel and tell others that no one is saved by doing good works, we often hear arguments like, “I am a good person, better than most. I’m confident that God will not reject me.”

Some will even quote the Bible as their support. They list the Ten Commandments and claim to keep them, or say that they give to the poor, or “I believe in God.” Some will point to the last part of Philippians 2:12: “Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, working out your own salvation with fear and trembling . . .” ignoring the phrase from verse 13 that finishes Paul’s sentence: “. . . for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure.”

This is where just a little Greek comes in handy. My study Bible has the following note about verse 12: “The Greek verb rendered ‘work out’ means ‘to continually work to bring something to fulfillment or completion.’ It cannot refer to the salvation by works, but it does refer to the believer’s responsibility for active pursuit of obedience in the process of sanctification” (being set apart for God).

Before I became a Christian, I also thought God saved ‘basically good’ people, those who were not breaking the law, or stealing things, or always telling lies, or beating up others, and so on. I wasn’t worried about myself.

Then Christ came into my life, literally. I didn’t expect that. He just made Himself known to me and moved in. I’m still in awe over that, and over the revelation that He brought with Him—I cannot do anything to please God.

Apart from Christ, my life is like a filthy rag and even the best of what I do is nothing, not because of my intentions or desire or anything else, but because it comes from a self-focused, sinful perspective. My works put me on the throne and totally ignore Jesus Christ.

A little Greek is a good thing in verse 12 of Philippians 2 because, even pulled out of context, it still does not say what some hope it says. It gives no one the license to “work at their salvation” with good deeds that they think God wants. Instead, it is talking about working out what God must first work in, including a deep intention to serve Him as well as the ability to do it at His bidding and with His ability and strength. I’m not working; He is.

Even non-Christians have asked me, “How do you know it is God at work and not you doing it?” That is a good question. Sometimes it is me. I get duped by my own desires and the lies of Satan into thinking God wants something, but later realize it is me who wants it. When that comes out, I am aware that my so-called good works often do more harm than good.

Sometimes it is Jesus in me, like a hand in a glove. I know because I am aware of my own inabilities. Apart from His motivation and power, I’d never even try some of the things He asks of me.

Sometimes I know because others tell me. I am moving along, obeying God and oblivious to any significance of my actions, then later find out that God used them for good in someone’s life.

The best way to know is by Scripture. For instance, the next verses start with, “Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault . . . .”

If what I do has any complaining attached, it is not Christ at work in me, but me at work. If what I do has any questioning and criticism in it (particularly toward God), then it is not Christ at work in me, but me at work.

When Jesus uses a person, that person is acting like Jesus. He is the ultimate test. Trying to work for salvation involves faith in myself, faith in my own goodness, faith that I can handle things. A careful study of the life of Christ shows that His faith was not in Himself. He totally depended on His Father to guide and direct Him, demonstrating a perfect human life lived without sin and in total trust, knowing that His Father and the Holy Spirit were working through Him and through His obedience.

When I thought I could work for my own salvation, I had no idea of the standard required. The deeper my knowledge of Jesus, the deeper my realization that being my own Savior is total folly; I fall short. I now understand, Greek or not, that it cannot be done.

No comments: