June 20, 2007

His compassion never fails

Mercy, according to my Oxford dictionary, means compassion or forgiveness shown towards an enemy or offender in one's power. This morning, I realize once again the preciousness of God’s mercy.

Yesterday was one of those days when everything seemed to irritate me. Instead of being thankful and happy, I felt whiny and crabby. It wasn’t that I didn’t try, but joy seemed far away. Worse yet, I had no reason or excuse for it. The only thing that was different is that I didn’t take my normal time to pray. Duh!

This morning’s verse is Exodus 25:22. In the verses prior, God gives precise instructions concerning the ark of the testimony. Its cover was called the “mercy seat” or the place where atonement and forgiveness took place. This “mercy seat” was between the glory of God that shone as a cloud above the ark and the tablets representing the broken Law of God inside the ark. It was sprinkled with blood from the sacrifices.

The ark and the mercy seat with its blood picture God’s covenant. Between God and the broken law of God is the sacrificial blood of His mercy. His people sinned and God offered forgiveness, but “without the shedding of blood, there is no remission of sin.”

In those days, it was the blood of animals that covered the sins of God’s people. Those lambs represented that which was to come, the Lamb of God, Jesus Christ, whose blood was shed for the sins of every person.

Forgiveness and mercy was not automatic, then or now. Verse 22 says, “And there I will meet with you, and I will speak with you from above the mercy seat . . . about everything I will give you . . . .”

It is never effort that overcomes acts of sin or even a sinful attitude; it is mercy. God gives me all I need, including a cheerful heart, but I have to meet with Him. His joy, His peace, His forgiveness, or anything else that God gives, cannot be taken for granted or assumed.

He offers forgiveness for my self-centered griping, not because I try harder, but because Jesus died for me, shed His blood for me. Furthermore, His mercy and compassion never fail. That is a good thing. I fail, often.

He is always there, above the mercy seat, waiting for me. I won’t neglect meeting with Him today.

No comments: