June 8, 2006

Making sense of bad stuff

“The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit.” (Psalm 34:18, NKJV)

This morning before I started reading I asked God to speak to a problem I have with what seems like a hopeless situation. I cannot change it. It is out of my control. (I’m not trying to be mysterious. As a Christian writer, I cannot describe in a blog some situations or name names that would expose or humiliate other people.)

So how do I react? What does He want from me in this? Nothing comes to mind. Instead I feel numb, blank, helpless.

His answer should not be a surprise. When I went to bed last night I thought about the way Jesus responded to situations. He could have controlled them, called in legions of angels, or just spoke a word, but most of the time He yielded to them. His humility was solidly rooted in trust. He knew that His heavenly Father was in charge. God controls all things. If the Father was allowing something to happen, He had good reason. Jesus surrendered, not to the situation or to His enemies, but to His Father. This is the definition of a meek and quiet spirit, not being walked on, but choosing God to trust and waiting for His direction.

There is an advantage in being heart-broken. When I’ve had sorrow from ruined relationships, felt devastated by a major loss, or crushed when someone I love was harmed or behaved badly, it has forced me to yield to God. Any circumstance that is totally out of my control produces a sense of helplessness, yet helplessness does not have to shake hands with defeat or resentment. Instead, I can contritely surrender to God who controls all things.

When I first became a Christian I was impressed by the promise in Romans 8:28, that God would work all things together for my good. It took a bit longer to realize that the ‘good’ He has in mind is that I become more like Jesus (see verse 29!)

So when stuff happens, the Father wants me to respond with faith in Him. He has good reasons for what He allows. He also wants my heart contrite, resting in the promise that He will make sense of the 'stuff' and that He will put ‘like-Jesus’ attitudes in me — during whatever is going on and long after it is over.

No comments: