June 3, 2006

It's in His resume!

“Who is this King of glory? The Lord strong and mighty, the Lord mighty in battle.” (Psalm 24:8, NKJV)

If asked, “Who is this King of glory?” some would never describe God as the psalmist does. Instead, they might say He is a God of love, or of peace, or maybe a God who is absent, who does not care, but how many think of God as a Warrior, a commander of armies?

The psalmist may have been thinking of physical armies, but certainly God fights spiritual battles. The Bible talks about a “heavenly host” that serves Him, myriads of angels that do His bidding, and human warriors that battle against “principalities, powers, rulers of the darkness of this age, and the spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.” God is not only my loving heavenly Father, but my Commander in Chief!

Human battle strategies do not work in this war. “We do not wrestle against flesh and blood.” Spears and swords are useless. So are strong words and good arguments. When spiritual enemies come against me, I cannot talk my way out nor do I have the power to get out of temptation and evil. I need God’s help.

That does not mean no talking or no struggle. It does mean fighting with His weapons, not mine. He gives me armor: the belt of truth, a breastplate of righteousness, the helmet of salvation, the shield of faith, and the gospel of peace on my feet. He gives me weapons: the sword of His Spirit, which is the Word of God, and prayer. (Ephesians 6) I dare not use any other defense.

2 Corinthians 10 says that “the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds, casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ.”

Whether the battle is in my own spiritual life or I am interceding for others, these weapons — His Word and prayer — combine to destroy all bondage to wrong thinking and any attitudes that resist God.

I’m learning to pray using Scripture. I realize that there is power doing that, not because of me but because it makes me God’s weapon-bearer. He takes the truth that I pray and turns it against the liar and his lies. With His Word, He defeats all that would otherwise turn people away from honoring and serving Him.

This battle may be in the unseen world, but it is still a battle. Those who neglect or dismiss it do not realize that they are already defeated.

No comments: