July 7, 2018

Alive through the spirit . . .


In my understanding, a person could be diagramed with small circle in the center, a second one around it, and a third one around both. The small circles represent the human spirit, the next one is the soul, the third is the body. In an unsaved person, the spirit is separated or ‘dead’ to God and almost useless. The soul includes emotions, volition and intellect. It operates entirely on input from the outer circle which includes physical desires and anything perceived by the senses.

In this diagram, when the spirit is given new life from God, the input changes. We begin to live by faith — which is a function of our spirit. We learn to walk by faith we walk rather than by sight or emotions, reasonings, or personal desires. This visual has its flaws, but it helps me understand verses like:
"But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh." (Galatians 5:16)
"Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." (1 Thessalonians 5:23)
It also helps me understand why the disciples on the road to Emmaus did not recognize Jesus. Could it be that they had not yet learned to perceive and understand Him through the spirit? Could that be the only way to ‘see’ Jesus? Is this why the religious leaders missed the reality of who Jesus is? Whatever was going on in them, this encounter with Jesus opened their hearts so they understood who He was.
“So they drew near to the village to which they were going. He acted as if he were going farther, but they urged him strongly, saying, ‘Stay with us, for it is toward evening and the day is now far spent.’ So he went in to stay with them. When he was at table with them, he took the bread and blessed and broke it and gave it to them. And their eyes were opened, and they recognized him. And he vanished from their sight. They said to each other, ‘Did not our hearts burn within us while he talked to us on the road, while he opened to us the Scriptures?’ And they rose that same hour and returned to Jerusalem. And they found the eleven and those who were with them gathered together, saying, “The Lord has risen indeed, and has appeared to Simon!” Then they told what had happened on the road, and how he was known to them in the breaking of the bread. (Luke 24:28–35)
This diagram also helps me understand what Tozer writes in today’s devotional. He says, “God does not play on our emotions to bring us to the point of spiritual decision” but he also writes, “When in our Christian experience our emotions are raised, it must be the result of what God’s truth is doing for us” and “Whatever else it embraces, true Christian experience must always include a genuine encounter with God.”

When the human spirit is made alive through faith in Jesus Christ, then God begins to use our souls to govern our bodies rather than the other way around. He informs my spirit by His Word and His Spirit. My enlightened spirit then governs my thinking, emotions, and decisions. I can disregard input from my body and the outside world unless God is using some of that to reinforce what He is telling me through my spirit.

This is why joy does not depend on circumstances; it is a fruit of the Spirit through my inner spirit and cannot be taken away from me. The same is true for love and all other spiritual fruit.

This is why I can decide to serve the Lord even when circumstances seem against it. He is informing me in the deepest part of my being and I just ‘know’ what He wants me to do.

This is why God tells me to be renewed in my mind. It isn’t about education or reading other books. It is about listening to the Holy Spirit as I read God’s Word. He feeds my mind with godly thoughts and ideas and instead of thinking by outer evidence, a renewed mind sees life and the world through God’s eyes.
This also explains the following verses:
“Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. All this is from God, who through Christ reconciled us to himself and gave us the ministry of reconciliation.” (2 Corinthians 5:17–18)
God changes sinners (who operate soulishly because their spirit is dead) to live in a new way. He makes the inner person come to life and enables us to hear and communicate with Him. Simple, yet incredible.

^^^^^^^^^^
Lord Jesus, thank You for giving new life, for making my spirit alive to You. I’ve done a lot of stumbling and made many mistakes as I try to live this new way, but You are saving and keeping me. I am so grateful!

No comments: