May 12, 2018

Curing ‘I don’t want to-itis’


Some mornings I don’t want to approach the Word of God. I don’t want to pray. It isn’t that my to-do list is long or that I’ve done something that makes me feel ashamed. It’s more like a hungry child that does not want to eat his supper. He knows it is good for him, but he’s had enough of the discipline of doing the right thing.

This is the biggest reason I appreciate this passage from the New Testament. It speaks to me about what is going on when I am reluctant toward spiritual disciplines . . .

“Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen.” (1 Peter 5:6–11)

Humble yourselves. Prior verses talk about pride. Humility is knowing how badly I need God. Humility recognizes that His Word is vital to my spiritual strength, daily attitude and general well-being. A friend used to say: “Miss devotions for a day and God knows it. Miss two days and I know it. Miss three days and everyone knows it.”

Mighty hand of God. Dare I forget that He is sovereign and controls whatever comes my way? Dare I forget that I am His child and He wants the best for me? Dare I forget that the best days of my life are about Him?
Casting all my anxieties . . . on who or what else? Where can I take the things that worry me? Can anyone else do or fix the problems? Most people don’t even want to listen to them, never mind help me out!

Be sober-minded. As Tozer says, this is the attitude of mind when calm reason is in control. The Spirit of God gives this amazing peace that can face life without getting in a flap. He not only gives love, joy, peace and the other fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23), but also a sober mind from an enlightened ability to be rational and think through whatever I am feeling and doing. Life has clarity, not a dull sense of ‘I don’t want to’ but an eagerness to spend time with the One who created me and wrote the instruction book for living.

Your adversary . . . prowls. This is the biggest key to my negativity. Somehow, the devil gets into my head and twists my thinking. If he cannot create rebellion, he creates complacency. If he cannot build my pride, he makes me feel like a doormat. He does not want me to trust God in my trials but become discouraged and start thinking that God does not care.

God of all grace . . . will restore . . . It helps to know that others experience the same trials, but the greatest blessing is that ‘this too shall pass’ — for God Himself has a plan. When my trials have fulfilled their purpose, He will restore, confirm, strengthen and establish me. One of those words means to give me a firm determination — take away the lackadaisical and bad attitudes and produce in me a great desire to give Him greater dominion in my life.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, thank You for this wonderful reminder of how much I need You. I am not mighty. I need someone to talk to about things that trouble me and give all things rational thought. I also must realize that my adversary is putting clouds into my thinking, but You are firming my resolve to build my faith and resist him. The only way to do that is by keeping my sWORD sharp and my eyes on You.

No comments: