May 24, 2018

Been there, done that


One person is emotionally high all the time, bounces all over the place, and continually expresses that everything in her messed-up life is just peachy.

Another person complains and is dissatisfied. He grumbles about anything and everything and rarely expresses thanks. He says his life is terrible, never the way he wants it.

Jesus says that whatever comes out of our mouth shows the condition of our hearts. He also gives us permission to examine the lives of others — so we can understand the condition of their hearts and respond accordingly:

“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves. You will recognize them by their fruits. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit. A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Thus you will recognize them by their fruits.” (Matthew 7:15–20)

Here Jesus is talking about false prophets, yet His description of how they can be known by what they do applies to everyone. I cannot judge without knowledge or speculate without reasons for it, but He tells me to be a fruit inspector. Praying for discernment is important. I’ve noticed that discernment is enhanced by connecting the dots between what is going on in my own heart and what is coming out of my mouth and showing up in my life.

According to what Jesus says, the two examples above very likely have unhealthy hearts. The first one wants others to think of her as cheerful, always positive, never complaining. Yet her life is not as wonderful as she claims. Instead of being transparent with her friends, she hides behind layers and comes across as dishonest and even deceitful.

The second person is dissatisfied with the way God runs the world, which is true of all complainers. In his mind, any uncomfortable situation is clearly wrong because his idea of God demands good experiences, a god who indulges his comfort and desires. He cannot see God as He is because his faith is weak or non-existent.

I can say these things because I’ve been there, done that. While it would be nice to be happy and carefree all the time, that is not how life works. God gives us joy, but not without challenges. For instance, Jesus wept. He loved us to the point of dying for us. Because He lives in my heart, I often feel His passion and angst for the situations in the world and even in my own life. I’ve seen His face streaming with tears. He calls me to carry burdens for others, weep with those who weep, even lay down my life for them. I cannot do that if I pretend there are no sorrows. Bringing them to Him is far better that living in denial.

The complaining person is also easy to identify with. My feet are sore. The lights are too dim. I don’t feel like cooking supper. Telemarketers will not give up. Groceries are too expensive. Too many in my family are not saved. the world is in a mess. Need I go one? Finding something to complain about is easy. Looking for God’s purpose in those situations is far better. Seeing Him use all things for good is exciting. I cannot do that when I’m dissatisfied, filled with self-centered griping and not trusting the Lord.

^^^^^^^^
Jesus, one of Your greatest gifts is being able to look at life realistically yet be content, knowing all things are in Your hands. Forgive the times I cover up or try to fake joy. Forgive the times I stop trusting You because things don’t go the way I want them to and I complain. Use all things to remove whatever blockages and barricades I’ve put up in attempts to avoid total trust. Use all things to transform me into Your image.

No comments: