May 30, 2018

Running the race . . .


Last week I wrote of sin being like a dog hanging on to my pant leg hoping to bite me, trip me, or persuade me to play with him. Now that I think about it a bit more, this is what Satan does also. He wants to hurt me so I will not pray, or cause me to stumble so I will not reach God’s goals for me, or get me so preoccupied with his tricks that my spiritual life takes a nose dive. These verses are a big encouragement to kick off that dog . . .

“Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted. In your struggle against sin you have not yet resisted to the point of shedding your blood.” (Hebrews 12:1–4)

The witnesses are those who have gone before me, enduring or surviving their trials by faith. Yet instead of focusing on the challenges, or even on the victories of these witnesses, I am to look to Jesus. The faith of others is helpful, but Jesus is my Savior, the founder and perfecter of my faith.

How did He triumph over the enemy? He refused to sin and instead “became sin for us” and died in my place. I am not a Savior who dies for others, but I can reject sin and endure whatever trials God allows in my life. If I consider or think carefully about Jesus and how He lived and died, I do not become tired or discouraged in my battle.

Considering Jesus helps me to also think about the result of His obedience, that joy set before Him. As I run my race, I need to keep my eyes on the finish line with the utmost assurance that nothing will keep me from reaching it, not even that pesky dog. He does his best, but Jesus has already taken care of his fate.

More about dogs; Chinese martyr Watchman Nee said being a Christian is like having two dogs fighting inside of Him. When asked which one was winning, he replied, “The one I feed the most.” Good advice.

^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus, I know that I must keep my mind focused on You for the ability to run well and to fight off the dogs. I need to take in Your Word and let it feed the new nature You have given me. I need to starve the old nature by putting it off and refusing to do what it wants to do. These are the desires You have put in my heart. Enable me to be fruitful and run with endurance the race set before me.

No comments: