October 23, 2007

Worship is more than mouthing the words

If asked, most Christians would say that worship is honoring God, yet in their minds the worship part of a worship service is the singing. We may even think of verses like Psalm 66:4: “All the earth shall worship You and sing praises to You; they shall sing praises to Your name.

After studying the words translated as worship, I find out that the definitions don’t mention music. Instead, these words mean “to bow down” or “kiss toward” or “give homage to” and while a person can do that as they praise God in song, worship goes far beyond singing.

Worship could even be said as the way I live my life before God. It showing a deep respect for Him and a recognition of who He is by all that I do. With that in mind, worship must then include all kinds of expressions of adoration.

As for worship in song, my singing voice is not going to win awards, but it seems that is not as important to God as singing with an attitude of humility and reverence. I’m not supposed to be wondering if my shoes match my outfit, or if my hair is wandering out of place. I’m not to be looking down on the child who is acting up in the seat in front of me, or wishing the fellow behind me had remembered to shower this morning. Instead of planning dinner, or thinking about the rest of the day, or wondering how to tell the person three rows up that her label is sticking out the back of her sweater, I’m supposed to be focused entirely on the God my mouth is praising. In other words, my heart is to be in this, not just my voice.

I could say this is easier for people who actually can sing, but that is not true. God isn’t concerned that I’m an alto or soprano or even that I’m on key. He invites me to make a loud and joyful noise, knowing He is God (and I am not), and that He loves me and wants me to simply love Him too.

No comments: